Geneva

blue monkey

This might be one for Gelsons dad!...I'm thinking of going for a weekend break in July.Has anyone been there?...looking for info really,what's it like?...hotels...things to do etc....

blue monkey said:
This might be one for Gelsons dad!...I'm thinking of going for a weekend break in July.Has anyone been there?...looking for info really,what's it like?...hotels...things to do etc....

Geneva is a great place to spend a few days. Not the cheapest place in the world, but well worth going.
There's a great cafe culture and the place comes alive on summer nights - eat out late. Visit the lake shore and look out for some of the little side streets off the main promenade. The old town is definitely worth a look. For a bit of night life try the Paquis area ;-)

Loads of parks, a giant fountain that you can see from all over the place.

Definitely worth a look if you are at all into sight seeing and the weather is OK ( should be scorchio in July) is Mount Saleve - it's a couple of miles out from the centre and you get a cable car up to the top - the views are awesome.

My folks lived in Geneva for 8 years, was gutted when they moved back, I love it there, the old town and cathedral are really lovely, some great restaurants and hotels tucked away in there.

The U.N. is worth a visit as is the Red Cross Museum, if that floats your boat, there are some great galleries and museums too and a day at the lake is a must.

If you're renting a car from the airport make sure you book it for the Swiss side not the French, a common mistake and can be a huge pain in the arse.

Take a trip up to Gruyere and have a proper swiss cheese fondue. Fabulous views & even better cheese!

Go out for lunch instead of in the evening, but any going out is really expensive. Can't comment on hotels as we stayed with a relative. It is a beautiful place though and its good to just sit with a beer by the lake.

If you go during the season go to watch Servette play - the previous home of a certain Mr Petrov.

all of the above, a great place. as a treat for her birthday last july i took jess there for lunch, hopped on a plane, had lunch on a boat on the lake, bit of shopping and home.
great day out.

de niro said:
all of the above, a great place. as a treat for her birthday last july i took jess there for lunch, hopped on a plane, had lunch on a boat on the lake, bit of shopping and home.
great day out.

Fuckin Hell, High roller!

richard-branson.jpg

All of the above.

My second favourite swiss town behind Basel. The weak pound has made Switzerland even more expensive for british tourists but if you know before you arrive and budget for it you will have a great time. As has been said already Switzerland is all about lakes and mountains so make the most of both.

G.D
Just back from half a day skiing. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.