Georgi Kinkladze

My favorite player back in the day but I think he'd drive pep mad if he was in one of his teams.

I'm not sure mate... Kinky was a special player.
I'd certainly say he's better than Bernardo.
Each to their own. I hate having this conversation, as it inevitably turns into a city player bashing, but if he was that good, man city, as was, wouldnt be the highlight of his career. He did nothing of particualt note at the highest level. Silva is about to make his second consecutive last 8 of the champions league and has only just started. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Each to their own. I hate having this conversation, as it inevitably turns into a city player bashing, but if he was that good, man city, as was, wouldnt be the highlight of his career. He did nothing of particualt note at the highest level. Silva is about to make his second consecutive last 8 of the champions league and has only just started. We'll have to agree to disagree.

To be fair to Kinky it's a bit difficult to do anything of particular note when you are in a team that is relegation fodder heading for the old third division. If he would have been in the Rags team of that time he would have been better than Cantona. No doubt about that in my mind.

I loved Kinkladze, but anybody thinking he'd get close to this side has no idea how good we currently are. This is looking like it will go down as the best side ever...E.V.E.R.. to play in England. If this was rag cafe, we'd be laughing at how deluded they were suggesting Kinky would be worthy of a place.

If you take off the 'doubt' hat, for a sec, you'd realise how close Kinky was to the players now, considering the shite training regime and unregulated diet, at the time.

If you applied pep's training methods to his playing ability then, no contest, he'd be in the starting line up.

In terms of pure skill he was Messi level. But before anyone starts saying I'm crazy, I obviously know the difference between elite level player and elite level skill. Let's just say that every time he took control of the ball the whole stadium rose to its feet. A handful of his goals for us were of a standard that world superstars would be happy to have scored just the one of in their careers.

In terms of pure skill he was Messi level. But before anyone starts saying I'm crazy, I obviously know the difference between elite level player and elite level skill. Let's just say that every time he took control of the ball the whole stadium rose to its feet. A handful of his goals for us were of a standard that world superstars would be happy to have scored just the one of in their careers.

Just watched a 9 minute YouTube video of him. Wow. Forgot how good he was. Can understand the Messi comparisons from the dribbling and runs

Ability wise Kinkladze was right up there with the best in the Premier League at that time. Despite our appalling season that ultimately led to relegation, he was a nightmare for every team that came up against him.

Unfortunately his loyalty to us meant that the majority of his time with us was spent in the lower leagues, which negatively impacted how he is remembered by the wider football community.

Kinkladze's ability to go past a man and get the crowd off their seats was Messi esque, unfortunately that is where the comparisons end. Great player, a joy to watch but ultimately the bright spark in an otherwise bleak few years for the club.

Whether Pep could have got the best out of Kinkladze is an interesting debate. I would have loved to have seen those two combine!

Last edited:
Ability wise Kinkladze was right up there with the best in the Premier League at that time. Despite our appalling season that ultimately led to relegation, he was a nightmare for every team that came up against him.

Unfortunately his loyalty to us meant that the majority of his time with us was spent in the lower leagues, which negatively impacted how he is remembered by the wider football community.

I remember Stuart Hall outside Maine Road saying that the rest of the players would need microchips in their brains to keep up with him and he was right.

Kinkladze's ability to go past a man and get the crowd off their seats was Messi esque, unfortunately that is where the comparisons end. Great player, a joy to watch but ultimately the bright spark in an otherwise bleak few years for the club.

Whether Pep could have got the best out of Kinkladze is an interesting debate. I would have loved to have seen those two combine!

A wasted talent for sure. I fear he may well have dwindled into obscurity whatever era he was born into. I base that on his interviews as well as his unfulfilled potential. I just don't get the feeling he had that desire to be the best he could be and was maybe not in love with the game and merely saw it as a means to an end. I'd conclude that regrettably Pep would have had a hard time convincing him to commit to his ways. And I say this as a huge fan of Gio. He was my hero during those dark days. I loved the little man.

Growing up watching some unbelievable dross at city, he and uwe were my idols. Kinky pulled people through the turnstiles and got bums off seats by just receiving the ball, obviously the goal vs Southampton will be remembered but the individual performance vs Newcastle in a 3-3 draw will alway stand out in the memory, absolutely unplayable but lacked quality around him, Bernardo’s all left foot style, drop of the shoulder and the way he shifts and moves the ball are so Gio like it’s uncanny. Deserved so much more than the players we had along with him and would of walked into any premier league team back then in my opinion. Who knows what would of happened if Litmanens move from Ajax didn’t fall through and Kinkladze would of had more game time there, certainly ability and skill wise he could play at any level but attitude wise he was behind the true elite. What a player though, great memories in the lower leagues - oxford away anyone

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.