Goals from midfield

sboroMCFC

How much difference would it make if we had someone from midfield who could actually score? I know Yaya has got a couple, but I'm talking someone who could reach double figures every season. Silva is class but doesn't score. Barry doesn't score and isn't particularly good at passing. I can't stand the man but if we had Gerrard we would win the league.

Yaya has 4, and 2 or 3 others that were his but marked as own goals. He will get to 10 if you include them.

Silva has been unlucky. Should have 4 or 5 but his assists are worth just as much.

Outside of Tevez, we've actually spread the goals round. Kolo, PV, Richards, Kolarov, Milner, Barry, AJ, Silva, Zabaleta and Lescott have all scored. Jo too in Europe.

sboroMCFC said:
if we had Gerrard we would win the league.

The goal scoring midfield is a bit of a myth for me as there are so few who really do it consistently.

Lampard is a true standout - reaching double figures, just in the league, seven seasons in a row.

Fabregas had one excellent season when he scored 15. Strip that out and his average over the other 5 full seasons is four goals.

Gerrard's record is good, but again he's broken double figures only three times in 11 seasons (although more so recently). However, goals are not exactly spread around at Liverpool, and I think he'd score less in a team with more good players surrounding him.

Apart from that, who is there?

Need to play SWP and on the right.

The Johnson injury is a blessing in disguise.

intheknow! said:
Nasri, Walcott, Lampard, Malouda, Nani, VDV, BALE

I think the OP meant goals from more central players, not wingers.

As somebody above stated, the only consistent stand-out player that provides goals from the centre is Lampard. As long as your strikers are scoring, and your wingers chip in with 5-10 each per season, then goals from the middle are a luxury, not a necessity.

intheknow! said:
Nasri, Walcott, Lampard, Malouda, Nani, VDV, BALE

Well Nasri, Walcott, Nani, Bale have never reached double figures in the Premier League (although they might do this season, in which case they'll have matched SWP's achievement). Lampard I agree, has an outstanding record, and VDV has an excellent scoring record.

However, I did think the OP was talking about centre mids - many of these play a much more advanced position. Like the point I made about Gerrard, they are stepping up when goals aren't scored elsewhere. VDV, Bale, Nasri are all top scorers at their club, ahead of the conventional strikers. Malouda is now having a second good season but he's outscoring Anelka.

Of course, if we scored more goals we'd win more matches, but we have a striker in Tevez who has scored just one less goal than Arsenal three main strikers put together.

I just think that it's a almost a cliche from commentators that teams need goals from midfield, when in fact they just need goals. If Tevez, Balo and Dzeko have a full season you could be looking at 50+ goals between them and wouldn't need to worry about a midfielder getting 10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.