Golf Thread

For a high handicapper , like he obvious is, to get down from 100 to 85 a round your best bet is to cut out the three / 4 putts and getting up and down a few times.

For 10 handicappers to get down to a low handicap you need to improve on your length. This where I struggle. I am consistent and straight but struggle at Par 4s over 400 yards.
This where I struggle. I’m off 10.2 and been in the 10s since coming back to golf 3 years ago. One other thing which I need to improve is bunker play , I can hit my 5 wood 200/210 but often ends up in green side bunkers and then I’m hit & miss I get out . It’s not good enough for my handicap .

A departed golfer at our club had a saying about golfers:

“The older we get, the better we were”

I’m guilty of that, saying things like “I used to get to the 150 marker with my drive on this hole” and “in the past I could hit a 7 iron 150 yards” the latter is now a 19 degree rescue which usually lands anywhere other than on the green :-).
I can relate to this . My mate who’s just turned 60 was in the Pro shop recently with his clubs , the young assistant said you got a bag full of headcovers ! Made me laugh

Desperate to play.
Not played a full 18 since Oct.
After watching the Masters last week I know exactly what I need to work on (hit my drives a lot further, chip closer to the pin and sink a few putts) and will easily get my 20.1 handicap down to single figures.
Can't wait for Saturday.
I'll show em all.

This where I struggle. I’m off 10.2 and been in the 10s since coming back to golf 3 years ago. One other thing which I need to improve is bunker play , I can hit my 5 wood 200/210 but often ends up in green side bunkers and then I’m hit & miss I get out . It’s not good enough for my handicap
One of the differences between us hackers and the professionals is when they play a shot to a green they look at where is an acceptable miss and where they mustn't put it. Effective course management saves you a few shots over the round.

This where I struggle. I’m off 10.2 and been in the 10s since coming back to golf 3 years ago. One other thing which I need to improve is bunker play , I can hit my 5 wood 200/210 but often ends up in green side bunkers and then I’m hit & miss I get out . It’s not good enough for my handicap .

Don't hit the ball so far than play a little chip shot onto the green, just play up short !
Play the course as it is not as you want it ;)

Faldo and Montgomerie are ALLEGEDLY another couple of twats.
I think it's true to say that a lot of the great players weren't very popular with their peers. Of course, in those days, most of the players were pissing it up every night, so the likes of Faldo and Montgomery, who took the game seriously, were never going to fit in.

Even Jack Nicklaus was quite unpopular when he was winning every other week. Not everybody could be like Arnie, Seve or Sandy - so naturally talented, that they didn't have to try as hard as the rest!

One of the differences between us hackers and the professionals is when they play a shot to a green they look at where is an acceptable miss and where they mustn't put it. Effective course management saves you a few shots over the round.
Spot on . That’s usually one of my strong points . I follow Sidekick Golfer on YouTube. His vids are all about course management and using your shots eg when you have a shot on a hole play for Bogey , possibly you could par it . Par 5s taking a club to put you on fairway, eg 6 iron 165 yards , then another 6 iron , probably left with something like 150 yards left to the green. Too many people instantly take their driver out on Par 5s

Don't hit the ball so far than play a little chip shot onto the green, just play up short !
Play the course as it is not as you want it ;)
Yea I do generally. I tend to play bogey golf and my short game & course management keeps me to 10ish . Want to break into single figures if possible this season. Better striking , bunker play & putting needs to improve though

The best tip i have ever had was take one more club into the green.
Played with Des Smyth in a pro am he was the one who told me that said pros hit 8 out of 10 in the centre of the club and amateurs 2 to 3 times out of 10 he said also all the trouble is mostly at the front of greens.Im a 14 hcap but if i paly 3 times a week i aim to get to single figures.

The best tip i have ever had was take one more club into the green.
Played with Des Smyth in a pro am he was the one who told me that said pros hit 8 out of 10 in the centre of the club and amateurs 2 to 3 times out of 10 he said also all the trouble is mostly at the front of greens.Im a 14 hcap but if i paly 3 times a week i aim to get to single figures.
100% correct. It's imperative that you know your carry distances for your irons. Most amateurs think because they hit an 8 iron 150 once, that that's their stock yardage and invariably come up short. Invest in a laser range finder to give you a yardage to carry the crap at the front of the green and don't go flag hunting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.