Gorton by-election

law74

If the election goes ahead for 8th June, parliament will be dissolved on 2nd May.
So the winner of the Gorton by-election will be elected to a parliament that does not exist.
Just how weird would that be

the council will postone it today, so I have 8 more weeks instead of 3 of the possibility of georgous george knocking on my door

Surely it's to be postponed?
It's still going ahead according to the council official in charge of elections, "i have no powers to cancel it" she says
That sounds a bit mad to me, whoever wins has no parliament to sit in

If it goes ahead it would be an ideal opportunity to vote for either the Monster Raving Loony candidate or George Galloway, whoever is the most idiotic. Could be close.

If it has to go ahead earlier than the general, does this mean Gorton doesn't vote in the General Election? Apparently postal votes have already commenced?

I read that the Returning Officer has the power to cancel. Since the process cannot be completed ie the winning candidate cannot take their place in parliament, it would seem ridiculous not to cancel.

I read that the Returning Officer has the power to cancel. Since the process cannot be completed ie the winning candidate cannot take their place in parliament, it would seem ridiculous not to cancel.
Waste of public money too.

If it goes ahead, will the gorton mp, being the only mp as the rest were stood down be technically prime minister?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.