Green energy

city2

ITV at 8-30pm on the future green energy installations, pushing heat pump systems at 10k, solar panels 10/20k if you wanted the radiators changed and it will take between 10-15 years to get your money back. Plus firms using cowboys to install these systems. My question is where the flying fuck do this government think the majority of people will have the money the install as well as a new electric car. I’m glad I’m a FOC but I do worry for the future of our familie.

ITV at 8-30pm on the future green energy installations, pushing heat pump systems at 10k, solar panels 10/20k if you wanted the radiators changed and it will take between 10-15 years to get your money back. Plus firms using cowboys to install these systems. My question is where the flying fuck do this government think the majority of people will have the money the install as well as a new electric car. I’m glad I’m a FOC but I do worry for the future of our familie.

there is a govt grant of 5k for air source heat pump, so that reduces the cost to 5k. a gas boiler is 3k so not much difference. add in the life expectancy of a heat pump (20 years compared to 10 for a gas boiler) and lower maintenance costs it doesnt look too bad

there is a govt grant of 5k for air source heat pump, so that reduces the cost to 5k. a gas boiler is 3k so not much difference. add in the life expectancy of a heat pump (20 years compared to 10 for a gas boiler) and lower maintenance costs it doesnt look too bad
It isn’t a gas boiler tho so it’s not 3K

We are a small country making a small difference, how far behind are third world countries to achieve these targets
That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and do our bit. Who knows, maybe the West we will be guinea pigs on the journey to renewable energy being much more cheap and abundant?

How else are we going to find out other than by trying to make it work, again and again?

We’ve got to try something ffs.

I have seen stuff and heard stuff that says in really cold weather heat pumps don't provide sufficient heat.

What we actually need is an impartial report into all the alternatives - how efficient in doing their job they are - costs to implement and environmental impact. The big word there is impartial.

I think the biggest thing we could do is to insulate our homes properly - I live in a 70's built semi. We have cavity wall insulation and loads of deep loft insulation. But there are dormers so the insulation over them is shit and the tile hung fronts is piss poor - tiles - 20cm of insulation at best and double glazing. We leak heat and I know it but we need to new build better and help older buildings insulate even better. I have lived in a couple of terraced houses from the Victorian era - they were fine with good insulation but what helps is you "share" warmth from side to side. My son lives in a 3rd floor new build flat and never has to put the heating on but there are far too many grannies sat in a Victorian home they own who can't afford to put the heating on in the depths of winter with a lack of insulation - single glazing and so on. Rather than giving them a winter fuel allowance would it not be better to isnsulate and make their homes warm in the 1st place?

We are a small country making a small difference, how far behind are third world countries to achieve these targets
'Third world' countries don't need to achieve these targets. The average Nigerian uses less than 10% of the energy of those in Britain. And Britain is one of the better performers of the developed countries. The worst per capita offenders are countries like Qatar, Kuwait and UAE. The worst, by far, of the traditional 'first world' countries are Canada and Australia, despite America getting all of the headlines because of the overall total. China performs worse than Britain, but better than Germany, Norway, Ireland, Belgium, Finland, the Netherlands, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and (supposedly eco-friendly) Iceland.

Obviously the issue is that in most of these countries, it's going down, but in places like China, it's still rising. But ultimately, it's difficult to make the case for something internationally if you're not being seen to do something about it yourself.

If we were serious we'd be working to address over-population and lowering what we consume per person.

I'm no expert so I could be wrong but my suspicion is that if we made less shit we'd cut energy more than moving to green technologies (which could also be done where it makes sense).

We have too much choice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.