Ground rent scandal next PPI

Blue Maverick

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...t-scandal-legal-battles-solicitors-negligence
I'm a victim of this and just wondering if anyone else's is in the trap, when I bought my new home I didn't know until the day I signed about the doubling of the ground rent (it's just doubled to £300) and fortunate or not mine stops at £1200 in another 30 years. It seem s mainly to be in the north west and I'm in oldham one of the poorest places in the country. We are trying to sell but I can see this been a massive stumbling block, we've even debated on whether to try and buy it but I reckon we are looking at £5-6k.
It seems to be a massive scam and they are getting money for nothing, a comparison my dad lives round the corner and his is £14 a year and they've offered it to him for £950.

Last edited:
Ours was about £4 a year. The big charges are because certain developers have worked out they can make an extra few grand once they've sold the house.

TBH they were fucking shit mate and like I said they didn't point it out until the moment we signed when it was almost impossible to pull out.
Sue the ****....it should all be in the terms of the lease. How much possible lease charges can increase year on year. You can pull out at any point before signing contracts.

On a house there shouldnt be any other than a nominal £5 or so a year with no increases for 999 years........................flats are different as communal gardens etc and service charges etc

I have rentcharges not ground rent. Although it's only £20 a year or something I still think it's abit of a con considering my house is a freehold

Sue the ****....it should all be in the terms of the lease. How much possible lease charges can increase year on year. You can pull out at any point before signing contracts.

On a house there shouldnt be any other than a nominal £5 or so a year with no increases for 999 years........................flats are different as communal gardens etc and service charges etc
We also have a service charge on our estate becaus of communal parking and gardening, another fucking con which they can put up, if i can sell this thing I'd never buy a new build again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.