Grown adult kids at home

I’m a landlord and treat my tenant as good as anybody would, I could get 1150 a month for my dads 3 bedroom bungalow I put the rent up to 700 a month 12 months ago. It’s never clever to generalise.

I got 2 other properties that I ask below the market value in rent. I’m happy to get less money and have decent tenants in.
A lot of landlords are alright. It's when they get a management company involved that all the shit usually starts.

A lot of landlords are alright. It's when they get a management company involved that all the shit usually starts.

I had 4 rental properties, I soon learnt not to let estate agent get part of your rent money from the tenants they slow everything down. I’d rather not have an estate agent and what I’m saving give that rebate to the tenant. I deal with any problems quicker and it’s less expensive. And what really counts for me is I don’t have maintenance problems lingering on causing mither for me and upset for the tenant.

Depends what culture you’re from.
Some kids want independence, others an easy life, but the cost of renting & houses has rocketed, so some can’t afford to even if they want to.
I couldn’t wait to get out.
My Mum gave my brother & sister huge deposits on their first homes about 20 years ago, I think she just wanted some peace & quiet!

My wife’s culture is very family oriented, it’s not that strange for kids to live with their parents, often adding extra floors, or extending the property.
we are actually moving into a house next to my in-laws later this year! ( no mother in law jokes she’s actually very nice) we’re selling up & moving to Mauritius, yeah, I’m a lucky bastard as my wife keeps telling me!
But it’s partially for the reason I mentioned, my wife’s parents are getting older, so my wife wants to be closer to them, I work from home, so it really doesn’t matter where in the world I actually work, & I was ready for a change of scene & I really didn’t need my arm twisting much!

Depends what culture you’re from.
Some kids want independence, others an easy life, but the cost of renting & houses has rocketed, so some can’t afford to even if they want to.
I couldn’t wait to get out.
My Mum gave my brother & sister huge deposits on their first homes about 20 years ago, I think she just wanted some peace & quiet!

My wife’s culture is very family oriented, it’s not that strange for kids to live with their parents, often adding extra floors, or extending the property.
we are actually moving into a house next to my in-laws later this year! ( no mother in law jokes she’s actually very nice) we’re selling up & moving to Mauritius, yeah, I’m a lucky bastard as my wife keeps telling me!
But it’s partially for the reason I mentioned, my wife’s parents are getting older, so my wife wants to be closer to them, I work from home, so it really doesn’t matter where in the world I actually work, & I was ready for a change of scene & I really didn’t need my arm twisting much!
When I lived in Germany many moons ago, this was the accepted practice, they had large houses and basically split in two, so granny lived in one part the family in the other, when granny died the kids moved in there and so the circle carried on, of course you have to rely on granny dying and also the space to build, that’s why so many Asian families extend their houses, they have no need for gardens they keep the family together, looking after the old and young alike, we seem to want to get rid of both generations.

When I lived in Germany many moons ago, this was the accepted practice, they had large houses and basically split in two, so granny lived in one part the family in the other, when granny died the kids moved in there and so the circle carried on, of course you have to rely on granny dying and also the space to build, that’s why so many Asian families extend their houses, they have no need for gardens they keep the family together, looking after the old and young alike, we seem to want to get rid of both generations.
Regarding your last point, you’re dead right and I think a large part of our society is on a path to oblivion. Short-termist and self-centred. People pay over a huge chunk of their income/wealth just to have other people look after their children or look after their elderly loved ones.

I moved out at 18 because Mrs Gaz at the time was pregnant we had young Gaz and tried to make it work for 2 years, ended up splitting, selling up and I moved back in with my mum and dad for 6 months rent free, hated every second of it after having the freedom of my own house etc, ended up getting a mortgage with my mate lived together for 3 or 4 years then he moved in with his Mrs and my Mrs moved in where weve been since and have 2 more little Miss Gaz's.

Young Gaz moved back in with us last year while he was still at college, he started an apprenticeship in September last year I dont take any keep off him yet, still pay his phone bill and when I can be arsed make his dinners for work, I just want him to enjoy being young go on holidays, go on the piss, buy shit clothes he doesnt need, he's got a long shit time ahead when he does have responsibilities and bills to pay.
And they say the Gaz's are dying out!! I counted 2736 in that post alone

This thread feels like a culture shock for me. If it wasn't for my distant job location, I would've been staying with my parents.

My stepson is 27 and been back living with us for three years after returning from uni. The wife only takes £100 a month from him and he seems to think that entitles him to full board, use of everything without contributing towards it and consumes any food and drink in the house that he finds. I bought eight bottles of wine that were in an offer at the supermarket in late November for an evening between Xmas and New Year when we were having some friends around. The day before the event I went to get the box containing the bottles and there was only one left. Cue massive row, the Mrs getting pissed off with me because I shouted at him and then me having to go out and pay for a new supply.

He is basically a child who feels like a victim because he does not earn enough to live independently. His two cousins are much the same. I cannot see any end to this and know a few blokes in the same boat with stepkids. I have thought about offering him some money as a deposit on a studio flat but I know that he would be round every month pleading poverty and expecting handouts.

My stepson is 27 and been back living with us for three years after returning from uni. The wife only takes £100 a month from him and he seems to think that entitles him to full board, use of everything without contributing towards it and consumes any food and drink in the house that he finds. I bought eight bottles of wine that were in an offer at the supermarket in late November for an evening between Xmas and New Year when we were having some friends around. The day before the event I went to get the box containing the bottles and there was only one left. Cue massive row, the Mrs getting pissed off with me because I shouted at him and then me having to go out and pay for a new supply.

He is basically a child who feels like a victim because he does not earn enough to live independently. His two cousins are much the same. I cannot see any end to this and know a few blokes in the same boat with stepkids. I have thought about offering him some money as a deposit on a studio flat but I know that he would be round every month pleading poverty and expecting handouts.

27 and scaving wine off his step dad, sounds like a little woman give him a slap. Embarrassing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.