Guardiola fined £20,000 for wearing yellow ribbon (p140)

it was not a democratic referendum, excluded 80% of the spanish citizens. It would have broken the law in all the EU countries

they are not in prisons just because their ideas (that's definition of political prisoner), they are in prison because they did things against the law, like pursuing the illegal referendum, and even declaring independence
Of course it’s democratic as it involved and was open to all people in that region.

Just like the English, Welsh and Northern Irish didn’t get a vote on the Scottish Independence referendum or the rest of the EU didn’t get a say in UK independence from the EU. That’s how these things work. The referendum was to gauge the feelings of those living in the region and had no legal validity. It was a large opinion poll. It was the Madrid government that decided to make the poll illegal. Something which wouldn’t have happened in the UK or the rest of the EU.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the democratically elected representatives of the Catalan region decided to hold a democratic vote on independence. They didn't force anyone to vote or which way to vote. The government in Madrid decided that they didn't like the idea, resorted to unreasonable force to get their way and then had the democratically elected representatives thrown in jail. This after the representatives adopted a let's talk about the problem position and the government refused to speak to them. Call me cynical if you like but I think that this dispute is all about Spain not wanting to lose the valuable revenues that this relatively small region stumps up and not a fond desire for brotherhood with Catalan people.
Well said.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the democratically elected representatives of the Catalan region decided to hold a democratic vote on independence. They didn't force anyone to vote or which way to vote. The government in Madrid decided that they didn't like the idea, resorted to unreasonable force to get their way and then had the democratically elected representatives thrown in jail. This after the representatives adopted a let's talk about the problem position and the government refused to speak to them. Call me cynical if you like but I think that this dispute is all about Spain not wanting to lose the valuable revenues that this relatively small region stumps up and not a fond desire for brotherhood with Catalan people.

the catalan government has not the power for it, they took competences that weren't theirs. In Spain there are 17 regional governments (catalan gov is one of them), they can't decide if they hold a vote for independence or not. It is only through reforming the current Constitution, and for this to happen a vote in the whole of Spain should happen, where all citizens have the opportunity to decide.

Guardiola thinks that the separatist catalans who actually conspired against the spanish democracy should be released

And?

They are sepratists to the spanish government not to the catala. independence movement that the castilan controlled courts have blocked (along witg tbe basques) call for the constitution to be amended.

And?

They are sepratists to the spanish government not to the catala. independence movement that the castilan controlled courts have blocked (along witg tbe basques) call for the constitution to be amended.
the rules for reforming the constitution are clear and open to anyone

Of course it’s democratic as it involved and was open to all people in that region.

Just like the English, Welsh and Northern Irish didn’t get a vote on the Scottish Independence referendum or the rest of the EU didn’t get a say in UK independence from the EU. That’s how these things work. The referendum was to gauge the feelings of those living in the region and had no legal validity. It was a large opinion poll. It was the Madrid government that decided to make the poll illegal. Something which wouldn’t have happened in the UK or the rest of the EU.

Worth noting given the mess Spain got itself into how this country, irrespective of political belief, showed exactly how it is done properly, legally and democratically.

Today is a superb oportunity for city fans to voice their opinion on the FA
Agreed,lets stick it to them,they probably thought we wouldn't have enough time to organise anything either,lets hope sky show the crowd at least once knowing them it'll not be more than that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.