Gullivers, Oldham Street

urban genie

Gulliver is closing next Thursday 22nd after being taking over by the castle across the way reopening on the 5th sep.
I have spent many a good night in there and Leroy and the staff have always been good to the blue crowd, letting us in no matter the day. (unlike the castle and it's nonsense on derby day, title win and parade day of shutting doors and not letting you in even though they see you in there every bloody week)
I like the castle pub but hope it doesn't ruin the good balance between the 2 boozer different styles, used to love having a few in the castle and then nipping into Gullivers some nights with it's choice of good music and when Nicky Locketts DJ-ing some good indy/manchester tunes. I just hope it does not change too much and days like the title win can happen still the place was bouncing that day where some pubs in that area were unwilling to let blues in to celebrate as same after the stone roses after some on oldham street weren't letting people in because of muddy wellies/boots, no such problem at Gullivers.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/restaurants-bars/ex-coronation-street-star-rupert-hill-5713729" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ll-5713729</a>

bakerdave76 said:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/restaurants-bars/ex-coronation-street-star-rupert-hill-5713729

Had no idea he owned the castle, and the parlour in chorlton too? Both quality watering holes. Best Sunday dinner ever in the parlour

urban genie said:
Gulliver is closing next Thursday 22nd after being taking over by the castle across the way reopening on the 5th sep.
I have spent many a good night in there and Leroy and the staff have always been good to the blue crowd, letting us in no matter the day. (unlike the castle and it's nonsense on derby day, title win and parade day of shutting doors and not letting you in even though they see you in there every bloody week)
I like the castle pub but hope it doesn't ruin the good balance between the 2 boozer different styles, used to love having a few in the castle and then nipping into Gullivers some nights with it's choice of good music and when Nicky Locketts DJ-ing some good indy/manchester tunes. I just hope it does not change too much and days like the title win can happen still the place was bouncing that day where some pubs in that area were unwilling to let blues in to celebrate as same after the stone roses after some on oldham street weren't letting people in because of muddy wellies/boots, no such problem at Gullivers.

Well said.

Before all of the Champs Leageue games last year I went into Gullivers straight from work and got talking to the Ajax & Dortmund fans and had a good laugh with them.

I am not a fan of the Castle and preferred Gullivers as it seem to retain some of the old boozer charm that is being eradictaed from the NQ and the city centre as a whole, the travesty of 'The Northern' is a prime example.

Shame that, some good memories of Gullivers. Really good stop off/ahh fuck it lets just stay here place.

CTID1988 said:
bakerdave76 said:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/restaurants-bars/ex-coronation-street-star-rupert-hill-5713729

Had no idea he owned the castle, and the parlour in chorlton too? Both quality watering holes. Best Sunday dinner ever in the parlour

Oh the castle is a great pub never been in the parlour to be honest but the castle has it's charms and Gullivers had different charms, would be a shame if it lost them

When we won the league walked back into to town (as we always do going via the chinese chippy that never has the chips ready) and a can of red stripe, got to the castle which had the door closed and the barman with waxed mustache and waistcoat at the door saying it was regulars only, we go in every week so after haggling he admitted they didn't want footy fans in today same as they do derby day, so we crossed over to Gullivers which we planned to visit later anyway after getting told a few NQ boozers were doing the same. was let in blues started streaming in with, some with tales of being refused into bars round there in groups of more than 2

They let us in The Castle on derby day.

Maybe they don't class people who go in for an hour, once a fortnight as regulars?

urban genie said:
CTID1988 said:
bakerdave76 said:

Oh the castle is a great pub never been in the parlour to be honest but the castle has it's charms and Gullivers had different charms, would be a shame if it lost them

When we won the league walked back into to town (as we always do going via the chinese chippy that never has the chips ready) and a can of red stripe, got to the castle which had the door closed and the barman with waxed mustache and waistcoat at the door saying it was regulars only, we go in every week so after haggling he admitted they didn't want footy fans in today same as they do derby day, so we crossed over to Gullivers which we planned to visit later anyway after getting told a few NQ boozers were doing the same. was let in blues started streaming in with, some with tales of being refused into bars round there in groups of more than 2

I know exactly who you mean, the first time i saw him i thought he was in fancy dress, but i saw him again selling "Manchester Eggs" at the food market. That tasche is pretty impressive though! I go in there all the time, went in with my brother who was wearing a city coat (the black umbro one with the black badge on, you cant even tell its a city coat) and he was asked to leave. They asked right after he had bought a pint though!

tidyman said:

Maybe they don't class people who go in for an hour, once a fortnight as regulars?

until recently was in every weekend and a few days in the week all the time and the barman who was on the door on QPR game even acknowledged he saw us all the time on title win night, and we have been in previously on derby days, were let in after the 6-1 but the 1-0 same season they shut the doors as first place we stopped at after we walked back into town that night, last year again was willing to let us in but told us to wait as a few lads in colours were passing and didn't want them to see it was open, we fucked it off and went to the wheatsheif, I don't think it's unreasonable to be in your home city and expect to be allowed in boozers, unfortunately only ever seen home fans refused in pubs in Manchester, I love the NQ but at times too snobby for it's own good, rather drink in the tib street tavern, wheatsheif and gully's than the castle nowadays but still enjoy it when I go in

urban genie said:
tidyman said:

until recently was in every weekend and a few days in the week all the time and the barman who was on the door on QPR game even acknowledged he saw us all the time on title win night, and we have been in previously on derby days, were let in after the 6-1 but the 1-0 same season they shut the doors as first place we stopped at after we walked back into town that night, last year again was willing to let us in but told us to wait as a few lads in colours were passing and didn't want them to see it was open, we fucked it off and went to the wheatsheif, I don't think it's unreasonable to be in your home city and expect to be allowed in boozers, unfortunately only ever seen home fans refused in pubs in Manchester, I love the NQ but at times too snobby for it's own good, rather drink in the tib street tavern, wheatsheif and gully's than the castle nowadays but still enjoy it when I go in

It sounds like I was trying to be a bit of a **** when I re read my post when you quoted it. I didn't mean it like that though. Just meant when they talk about their locals they're probably not meaning the football crowd who go in.

I always get the feeling, we're tolerated in their rather than welcome to be honest but I don't really give a fuck which pubs don't let me in as long as there's another nearby that will.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.