Happy St George's Day

I think the actions of that minority of fuck pigs in London today is a good advert not to declare it a bank holiday.

St Patrick's day everyone becomes plastic Irish.

St George's day the far right claim it as their day to act the ****.

How do we as a collective nation claim it back from them?
We keep displaying our flags and peacefully celebrate being proud of being English I guess.
I have my St George’s flag in my window today. Just the flag nothing else.

Mind you my neighbours are used to seeing a flag in my window, but it’s usually a Blue one celebrating a City triumph!! ;-) :-)

I think the actions of that minority of fuck pigs in London today is a good advert not to declare it a bank holiday.

St Patrick's day everyone becomes plastic Irish.

St George's day the far right claim it as their day to act the ****.

How do we as a collective nation claim it back from them?

Do we have to claim it back? I don’t know the patron saints of any other countries because it’s just not a big deal.

The UK lacks an independence or founding day, and some right wingers feeling insecure about their English identity have latched onto St George’s day and are trying to make it something.

But the answer is just to stop looking for a national identity in the spirit of an 1800 year old Roman whose myth and “qualities” were completely invented 500 years after he lived.

I’d just leave them to it, and the rest of us can find our English or British identity in things that actually happened and deeds carried out by people from this country.

I’m going to make a confession now. I almost always put my St G flag out but last night I was concerned and a little scared of doing so and debated in my head about doing it. Not because I thought my neighbours would be bothered they are all lovely. However the street I live on leads down to a park and there are always people going up and down.
But when I got up this morning I thought no way am I letting even the thought of being worried stop me celebrating my English heritage.

After all I’m a Blue I’ve had a lot of rubbish said to me over the years. I can cope! *lol*

Happy Brexit day. And St.George was Turkish.
Cappadocian Greek who fought for the Romans. How can he have been Turkish when Turkey wasn't even a thing back then? The Ottomans didn't conquer the land for another 1000 years.

He's also a patron saint of Portugal, Genoa, Venice, Georgia, Catalonia and Ethiopia, who all celebrate him today as well, so...

Do we have to claim it back? I don’t know the patron saints of any other countries because it’s just not a big deal.

The UK lacks an independence or founding day, and some right wingers feeling insecure about their English identity have latched onto St George’s day and are trying to make it something.

But the answer is just to stop looking for a national identity in the spirit of an 1800 year old Roman whose myth and “qualities” were completely invented 500 years after he lived.

I’d just leave them to it, and the rest of us can find our English or British identity in things that actually happened and deeds carried out by people from this country.
You're unaware that St Patrick is the patron Saint of Ireland and the reason there are no snakes on that island is because Patrick drove them out?

Similarly Saints Andrew, David, Denis etc?

Agree we don't need to claim it back; I think k we already own it.

Cry God (who I also don't believe in) for Harry (but not Megan) England and St George!

Last edited:
You're unaware that St Patrick is the patron Saint of Ireland and the reason there are no snakes on that island is because Patrick drove them out?

Similarly Saints Andrew, David, Denis etc?

Agree we don't need to claim it back; I think k we already own it.

Cry God (who I also don't believe in) for Harry (but not Megan) and St George!
And that St Patrick was actually Welsh.

FlagofMilan_800x.png

Cappadocian Greek who fought for the Romans. How can he have been Turkish when Turkey wasn't even a thing back then? The Ottomans didn't conquer the land for another 1000 years.

He's also a patron saint of Portugal, Genoa, Venice, Georgia, Catalonia and Ethiopia, who all celebrate him today as well, so...
Still not solely British.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.