Has social media made the UK more right wing?

His Overton window is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> skewed.

365A69C500000578-0-image-a-5_1468742730284.jpg

Regarding the original question, I think not, but I do thing social media has resulted in far more intolerance, not just among people but more people are ignoring common sense, traffic laws, etc. This has become so obvious since the Covid pandemic, yet some still argue this pandemic never happened, they seem to thing the government just wanted to totally screw up the country and never realised it was a global thing. I think social media is a potential minefield, I tend to just focus on City and a couple of music-related groups on Facebook, but even these get trolled, it is not about being more right wing, it is about being a sad git who has nothing better to do with their sad and pathetic existence than to weakly try to ruin the lives of othere, as if that would justify their actions, they might be right or left side of politics, but they are just morons, end of….

I would say that about 30% of people on here are far left, probably another 35% are more moderately left wing but still definitely to the left (although it could be vice versa) then there’s about 25% who are in the middle with the remainder sitting on the right. Although having said that, 10% seems quite high for the right of centre.

It’s definitely not a normal distribution of political views.
Where do you see yourself on this spectrum?

I didn’t mention x or any other platform but my experience is, you get shovelled down your neck exactly what you want to hear and read and it’s an echo chamber.

Left and right, just as biased, just as bad as each other and just as fucking crazy.
Then, I don’t understand why my left leaning tendencies get shoveled all this right wing shit, unless I somehow engaged with it without thinking it through a long while ago?! Regardless, it has made it almost unreadable!

I would not expect the Bluemoon politics forum to reflect the UK norm.

We are self-selecting; mainly northerners; mainly from a working-class background given City's historical background.

I would also guess the age profile is lower than the UK average.

So, broadly speaking, no more representative than (say) a pro-monarchy forum, or a downtrodden Scouser forum.

I would hesitate, though, to pronounce on the exact political positioning of individuals. A simple left/right axis is a tad outdated.

False equivalency.

X is a right wing cesspit.

I only go on X if there is a link on here, but if I look at the next video underneath the City video, it is nearly always some right wing political bullshit (I’m not!), something religious (I’m not!), or some classroom/gang fight (in which I have zero interest and find repulsive). If I hit “For you” I get more of that, but if I hit “Follow” I get none of it because I don’t follow any if that other BS!

I don’t do any other social media, and I’m glad I don’t!
You're correct, I recently made a new X account as Elon has made it impossible to use without a login now. All you get are racially motivated posts, sex workers advertising or clear anti western propaganda. And I don't follow any accounts remotely related to anything of the sort. It is unusable, I don't even use it for Ukraine war info anymore as it's just full of russia propaganda.

But I still need it to follow an important account that gives updates for a compensation battle im involved in.

I am quite new to facebook and its full of right wing stuff, i have been on twitter for years and that is a pit of hatred. Who needs the Daily Mail when you get hate for free on social media.

Am i wrong? whats your experiences?
Other than BM I don’t do social media. It reflects the worst of the world which is predominantly fucked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.