Heat Pump

jrb

Has anyone had a heat pump installed? If so, are they worth installing, what’s the performance like heat wise compared to a gas combi boiler, how much money have you saved since having an heat pump installed?

I’m thinking of getting an heat pump installed. (as well as solar panels)

You can claim up to £7,500 towards cost and installation from the Givernment.

Octopus Energy have quoted me for a heat pump installation.

IMG_0161.png

Thanks.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a heat pump installed? If so, are they worth installing, what’s the performance like heat wise compared to a gas combi boiler, how much money have you saved since having an heat pump installed?

View attachment 103351

Thanks.
Dont do it unless your house is really well insulated and you already have oversized new radiators or wet underfloor heating. There are some new generation ones coming along soon that use a different refrigerant which will significantly improve the thermal output.At present the current generation have much lower flow temperatures than combi boilers, typically 40-45 deg C vs 50-70 deg C respectively.

Solar is a bit of a easier sell but only if you plan to stay in the house for more than the payback period. The feed in tariffs are rubbish now so you would be better spending the heat pump money on battery storage and as much generation as you can have based upon the direction of your roof and what the local DNO (electricity company) will allow you to connect.

Last edited:

View attachment 103351

Thanks.

Combined with solar panels and a well insulated house they are meant to be really good. For me in a solid brick house it is a waste of money.

View attachment 103351

Thanks.
Don’t think he’s really active on here anymore, but @salfordpaul is your man. He’s on Twitter as @joypaincity.

Reactions: jrb
If your house isn’t well insulated and you don’t have big radiators or underfloor heating your house won’t get warm with a heat pump alone and to compensate you’ll be heating hot water using electric to get the house to temp, so your electric bill will shoot up.

Our neighbour got one last summer. He was full of it, going on about saving money and the world.
He doesn't say anything about it at all now... His Mrs hasn't been very happy with it, says it's noisy, near useless in this country, and even with solar panels galore is definitely not cost-efficient.
He only got it because of the £5k grant, but it cost him a lot on top of that, and has apparently seen no significant change in electricity bills.

It's just another government con.

Our neighbour got one last summer. He was full of it, going on about saving money and the world.
He doesn't say anything about it at all now... His Mrs hasn't been very happy with it, says it's noisy, near useless in this country, and even with solar panels galore is definitely not cost-efficient.
He only got it because of the £5k grant, but it cost him a lot on top of that, and has apparently seen no significant change in electricity bills.

It's just another government con.
Only This.

Built a house for my mate few years ago and he installed a heat pump which he said is working well but we insulated it to fuck if it’s not well insulated don’t bother it’s virtually useless

I was in the same thoughts a few months back. Got a similar quote from octopus as yourself.

I did a lot of research on various forums, Facebook groups etc and the general thoughts were it’s not for me. Running costs seemed much higher than gas, and installation was a lot more intrusive lasting several days, replacing radiators, pipes etc compared to a few hours for a gas boiler.

Ended up getting a new gas boiler for £1700 fitted with 10 year warranty. Will look into heat pumps next time when they have been around longer and probably improved.

Reactions: jrb

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.