Help needed - Longest long shot - Housing lawyers

adrianr

Not really sure where to start with this.. I don't want to go into too much detail because frankly it's getting pretty traumatic for me, but if we have any housing/council tax lawyers in our midst, and even better if you're located in London, and you could spare a blue a few minutes for some advice before I lose my sanity, I would be hugely, hugely grateful.

Cheers.

Just a bump for you.

I'm pretty sure there is a property lawyer on here.

If not, there is the citizens advice bureau, who are pretty helpful.

If not, let me know, I've a friend who is a lawyer. Not specifically property, though.

roaminblue said:
Just a bump for you.

If not, let me know, I've a friend who is a lawyer. Not specifically property, though.

Cheers mate. I'm exploring the citizens advice thing but it's slow and getting time off work is tricky. Could really do with just a quick q&a if anything to ease my nerves, as I feel like a wreck at the minute.

adrianr said:
roaminblue said:
Just a bump for you.

Cheers mate. I'm exploring the citizens advice thing but it's slow and getting time off work is tricky. Could really do with just a quick q&a if anything to ease my nerves, as I feel like a wreck at the minute.

Sorry to hear that mate. I have found, in the past, that a lot of this legal information is black and white, but consequently hard to understand where you stand on specific situation. I have been a landlord previously, so if its just about tax responsibilities I may be able to help. But if it includes the inland revenue, very possibly not.

Honestly mate, try not to let it weigh you down. easy for me to say, but there is a certain amount of speed that things can be done, beyond that you have little control. Put the wheels in motion to sorting it out, and trust that it will be. Also, whoever is on the other side of this, make sure you communicate with them, be professional and be polite. They may even have resources that may help you.

If it needs sorting asap get time of work otherwise it will come back to bite these things dont go away wish i could be of more help good luck

roaminblue said:
adrianr said:
roaminblue said:
Just a bump for you.

Sorry to hear that mate. I have found, in the past, that a lot of this legal information is black and white, but consequently hard to understand where you stand on specific situation. I have been a landlord previously, so if its just about tax responsibilities I may be able to help. But if it includes the inland revenue, very possibly not.

Honestly mate, try not to let it weigh you down. easy for me to say, but there is a certain amount of speed that things can be done, beyond that you have little control. Put the wheels in motion to sorting it out, and trust that it will be. Also, whoever is on the other side of this, make sure you communicate with them, be professional and be polite. They may even have resources that may help you.

It's just council tax, and the ridiculously obtuse checkbox nature of their public dealings. Can't speak to a single person with an ounce of common sense. I know I'm 100% in the right, I don't owe them a penny, yet they've got bailiffs after me and giving me no time to resolve the issue. Spoke to citizens advice today and I'm popping in tomorrow so hopefully that will bear fruit. Really at my wits end with it.

adrianr said:
It's just council tax, and the ridiculously obtuse checkbox nature of their public dealings. Can't speak to a single person with an ounce of common sense. I know I'm 100% in the right, I don't owe them a penny, yet they've got bailiffs after me and giving me no time to resolve the issue. Spoke to citizens advice today and I'm popping in tomorrow so hopefully that will bear fruit. Really at my wits end with it.

yeah they're hopeless, absolutely hopeless. I had dealings with the lewisham borough council found them to be rude and aggressive. For some reason they had to account numbers for my property, I was paying about £250/month into the account they had sent me out in the letter, but they were monitoring the other account which they hadn't mailed me any information on.

6 months of my money just went into a blackhole. Took absolutely ages to get it sorted and they called the bailiffs.

I did manage to get them to put a halt on it until it was resolved. Have you tried asking for someone senior to speak to? Even just asking them to wait on the bailiffs until you've taken legal advice?

Citizens advice is a good way to go.

When I had some problems with tenants, someone on here told me about a free legal service, they didnt cover the issue I had, but they may cover yours.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but I'll do a bit of searching through my posts and see if I can find out for you.

Also, there must be a complaints procedure/ombudsman for something like this!

roaminblue said:
adrianr said:

yeah they're hopeless, absolutely hopeless. I had dealings with the lewisham borough council found them to be rude and aggressive. For some reason they had to account numbers for my property, I was paying about £250/month into the account they had sent me out in the letter, but they were monitoring the other account which they hadn't mailed me any information on.

6 months of my money just went into a blackhole. Took absolutely ages to get it sorted and they called the bailiffs.

I did manage to get them to put a halt on it until it was resolved. Have you tried asking for someone senior to speak to? Even just asking them to wait on the bailiffs until you've taken legal advice?

Citizens advice is a good way to go.

When I had some problems with tenants, someone on here told me about a free legal service, they didnt cover the issue I had, but they may cover yours.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but I'll do a bit of searching through my posts and see if I can find out for you.

Also, there must be a complaints procedure/ombudsman for something like this!

Had that problem before as well! By the end of the tenancy on that property once we'de sorted all the accounts it turned out they actually owed me £175! Fortunately they, my current council, are excellent to deal with. Nothing like the old council on a property over two years ago, conjuring charges out of thin air. Only with a council can I be sat here with two letters explicitly stating I owe them nothing, yet they're still after money and proof I don't owe them anything. It's completely absurd.

I've no idea if there's an oversight for council behaviour but it's not the only major issue I'm aware of. It just feels like usual little guy against the big guy. Frankly for all the time and stress it's taking me to resolve this I should have some avenue open to me for at least an apology. But I know I'll be lucky to get away with only having to pay bailiff charges.

I had a row with Bury over Council Tax. I pay in 10 instalments and something went wrong with the December payment. So instead of trying to re-collect they just stopped the DD for the last 2 payments without telling me and I didn't realise.

The first I knew was when they took me to court for non-payment. I paid up when I realised but they still went ahead with the court order, despite me claiming that they clearly hadn't followed their own published process. I was fined but went through the complaint process and about 12 months later they agreed they were in the wrong and refunded me. So I'd complain to the Chief Executive if I were you.

But you're right that you can't get any common sense out of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.