Hernandez is better than van Persie and Welbeck isn't

NorCalBlue

Having spent the last few hours trawling through every competitive United game this season to gather data on goals scored, team goals scored and conceded, and minutes played by all four main strikers, (a) I feel dirty, and (b) I’ve come to the conclusion that Hernandez is their most effective striker and Welbeck, well, isn't.

So how did I reach this conclusion? Well, it turns out that if you look at goals scored per game (assuming 94 minutes per game), Hernandez has the highest scoring rate whereas Welbeck can’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo.

Goals per game (total games): Hernandez 0.76 (22.4), van Persie 0.71 (40.6), Rooney 0.53 (30.2), Welbeck 0.08 (23.7)

But perhaps Welbeck offers something else to the team instead of actually scoring goals (this is usually the line trotted out by Ferguson)? You can get a measure of what a player contributes to the team by looking at team goals for and against when each striker is on the field (this takes account of support play, assists, stretching the defence, keeping possession, harrying opposition defenders, etc.).

Team goals per game, for/against (difference): Hernandez 2.23/1.07 (1.16), Rooney 2.22/1.06 (1.16), van Persie 2.14/1.13 (1.01), Welbeck 1.77/1.10 (0.68)

So United concede about the same number of goals regardless of which striker plays (just over 1 goal/game), which means that Welbeck doesn't do anything extra to help them defensively. In terms of attacking, they score about the same number of goals when van Persie, Rooney, or Hernandez play, but they score considerably less when Welbeck’s on the pitch (about half a goal per game). This means that his general play really doesn’t make up for his lack of goals, and consequently, the team goal difference is much less when he plays.

So there you have it; Hernandez is their most effective striker and Welbeck's shit. But the important thing here is that no one let’s this information get back to United. As long as they think he’s brilliant, they’ll keep playing him and he’ll keep holding them back while we try to catch up (God knows how soon they’d have won the league this year if they’d f**ked him off at the start of the season and just played the other three). So shhh!, loose lips sink ships and all that.

p.s. the same goes for Cleverley.

He always seems to score when he plays, I never understood why he doesn't play often enough. I'd still start rvp as he is a big game player

Crouchinho said:
He always seems to score when he plays, I never understood why he doesn't play often enough. I'd still start rvp as he is a big game player

I don't think you can play both RVP and Hernandez and get the best out of them: they are both essentially front-to -goal strikers and although RVP can play off the front his goals tally in the last few years has come from playing closer to goal.

You are right about Welbeck though; this year he has scored 2 league goals, last year playing alongside pigface he scored 9 in 30. Rooney scored 27 in 34 last year and got 13 in 27 this year. I don't see why the rags think they can live without him he scores 1 in 2 when marginalised and made a poor player get a decent goal return last year.

CaliforniaBlue said:
Having spent the last few hours trawling through every competitive United game this season to gather data on goals scored, team goals scored and conceded, and minutes played by all four main strikers.....
K1MbVLL.gif

;-)

Crouchinho said:

I said it on the way to Wembley that are 3 forwards should be sergio, hernandez and guidetti as long as the right men are brought in fo supply them I.e. isco, thiago, navas along with silva it would be harder not to score. he is great in the air also

Rocket-footed kolarov said:
I don't think you can play both RVP and Hernandez and get the best out of them: they are both essentially front-to -goal strikers and although RVP can play off the front his goals tally in the last few years has come from playing closer to goal.

I just crunched the numbers on the three striker combinations with van Persie and surprisingly, the best partnership this season has been van Persie with Hernandez.

Team goals for/against (total games together): RVP and Hernandez 2.94/0.87 (11.6), RVP and Rooney 2.29/1.12 (24.9), RVP and Welbeck 2.00/0.93 (14.0)

So when RVP and Hernandez play together, United score almost a goal a game more than when RVP plays with Welbeck (and concede slightly less). I know who I'd play together next season if I was Moyes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.