Highly critical article about Citys' owners

Arab, Russian, American, Iranian, Thai and Chinese which of these have a spotless human rights record?

Don't think you can really argue with the contents of the article. City's owners aren't whiter than white, regardless of how much excellent work they do in Manchester. Personally, I am uncomfortable reading articles such as this as whilst what they're doing for Manchester City is amazing, as a society UAE clearly has a long way to go in terms of its human rights record.

That said, I don't really like the need to link it to City, albeit I understand why people would as it gives a more tangible feel. I guess the need to publish this article now is probably due to the fact City are getting more attention than they probably ever had due to the recent success and authors are jumping on that to highlight the issue, which is a shame as it will temper the success in the eyes of some (rightly or wrongly). PSG got similar stick when they bought Neymar and Mbappe if I remember correctly.

Personally, to me City is a just football club, not a mouthpiece for a country. I don't support the UAE, I support City. Abu Dhabi's involvement in City hasn't made me any more likely to ever want to visit the country or any other state in middle east.

Oh look, another "aren't City awful" piece.

Last week it was Disneyfication, before that it was City are ruining academy rejects lives.

Anyone would think there was an agenda..

Don't think you can really argue with the contents of the article. City's owners aren't whiter than white, regardless of how much excellent work they do in Manchester. Personally, I am uncomfortable reading articles such as this as whilst what they're doing for Manchester City is amazing, as a society UAE clearly has a long way to go in terms of its human rights record.

That said, I don't really like the need to link it to City, albeit I understand why people would as it gives a more tangible feel. I guess the need to publish this article now is probably due to the fact City are getting more attention than they probably ever had due to the recent success and authors are jumping on that to highlight the issue, which is a shame as it will temper the success in the eyes of some (rightly or wrongly). PSG got similar stick when they bought Neymar and Mbappe if I remember correctly.

Personally, to me City is a just football club, not a mouthpiece for a country. I don't support the UAE, I support City. Abu Dhabi's involvement in City hasn't made me any more likely to ever want to visit the country or any other state in middle east.

Good response and just about sums up my own feelings. When we're telling people who are terminally ill that they're fit to work and stopping their benefits, leading to a disproportionate suicide rate, then we've got no right to be telling other people how to behave.

If he’s so worried about human rights, he should be aware that we have a presumptive right in this country not to be found guilty by association. The criminal conduct of some members of Sheikh Mansour’s family shouldn’t lie at the door of Sheikh Mansour or Manchester City. Poorly researched article by somebody with a clear agenda.

Last edited:
you'll struggle to find a Muslim country where opposition to authority and the ruling elite will end in anything but unsavoury business.

That being said, considering the abuses that have taken place, and continue to take place in the US and here I don't think westerners really have room to point fingers. I'm sure we'll get another piece on Roman/Putin, followed up by how upset Republicans Kroenke and Glazer must be at Trump being in the White House, and how about a nice piece on Uzbekistan for Uzmanov, with then links to Moshiri and his Russian and Iranian links.

Or we can just pick out one piece of coal and shout "boo" at it, and leave all the other pieces in the sack to carry on running their clubs quietly.

In an ideal world Britain and the United States wouldnt have Invaded Iraq and turned it into the killing fields it is .European goverments wouldnt have turned a blind eye to the atrocitises and mass killings in The former Yugoslavia.The same goverments wouldnt have proped up various African dictators over the decades .No goverment is squeaky clean .I get that .but the same goverments that the reporter has quoated has shares or even owns airlines.telecomunication networks .shipping companies .hotels and the list goes on and on .
So lets not write about that because it probably easier to slag City of instead.

you'll struggle to find a Muslim country where opposition to authority and the ruling elite will end in anything but unsavoury business.

That being said, considering the abuses that have taken place, and continue to take place in the US and here I don't think westerners really have room to point fingers. I'm sure we'll get another piece on Roman/Putin, followed up by how upset Republicans Kroenke and Glazer must be at Trump being in the White House, and how about a nice piece on Uzbekistan for Uzmanov, with then links to Moshiri and his Russian and Iranian links.

Or we can just pick out one piece of coal and shout "boo" at it, and leave all the other pieces in the sack to carry on running their clubs quietly.
I think the difference with City and PSG is that they're (ultimately) backed by the state of those countries. I can't think of any other clubs that have that backing. That said, lots of clubs are backed by companies who aren't squeaky clean.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.