Hillsborough - 35 years ago today

Yes. At times it gets forgotten as the years have passed and the hatred between clubs gets stoked up. It truly was horrific and in those days it could have been any of us. As a kid I remember being caught up in a crush at the end of a game leaving the Kippax. It was terrifying. My feet were off the floor and I couldn't breath or move. Thankfully it only lasted seconds until it eased and I was released but it was a horrible feeling.
Same happened to me mate, exactly how you said.

My feet didn't touch the stairs from the top to the middle, was a horrible feeling, didn't feel the crush oddly enough but I think I was too preoccupied with the fact I was floating somewhat.

Like many others i was at Blackburn that day. All very surreal, seeing see some lads we knew outside a pub near the Darwen End, parking on some grass behind some terraced houses, piss up to our ankles in the al fresco away end bogs, getting thrashed 4-0, then finding out the reason why the other semi score hadnt been given out at HT. in them days football fans were treated like shit so in a way it wasn’t a huge surprise. We generally had a good relationship with the scousers in them days. How times change.

i was at blackburn, my mate was actually at hillsborough , it was a long wait for him to get back, we both went to the replay at old trafford, dreadful day for football and those poor people and their families , they treated football fans like shite in those days, and the way they lied and deflected the blame onto liverpool fans was disgusting

To the 94 people who died on the day and the three who lost their lives in the decades since. All of them wrongfully killed, all of them tarnished by the police, government, and media in the aftermath.

The cruel legal fight those families and relatives had to endure just to get some kind of justice for their loved ones remains something that boils my blood to this day. Anne Williams in particular deserved so much more.

And Hillsborough's still not safe or fit for purpose. Just ask any Newcastle fans who went there in January 2023.

It's important to remember that it could have been any of us. Had we beaten Brentford in the earlier rounds it very easily could have been City fans in the Leppings Lane End. Nobody, absolutely nobody, deserves to go to a football match and not come home.

Watched this unfold in a snooker club in Altrincham, I'll never forget it.
A dearly departed friend's brother-in-law was there with Liverpool, the lad was in bits worrying.
I post frivolous shit about Liverpool on here, but never about that afternoon.

We had a similar one at the Leppings Lane End a 3-2 defeat a year or so earlier around December time. Obviously packed out with Blues. After the final whistle while trying to get up to the exits it backed up the other way and people near the exits were being crushed back towards the pitch. I dislike scousers with a passion, but there was something not right about that standing area at Leppings Lane, as you say it happened a few times before.
Yeah I think I attended that game (McNab scored a cracker), but for some reason we were sat in Wednesday's North Stand with the City fans sardined into a couple of blocks to our right in the Leppings Lane.
I've actually watched City from all four Stands at Hillsborough, but the only time I ever stood in the Leppings Lane was when Stockport County played a LC tie there in the mid 80s

My feet didn't touch the stairs from the top to the middle, was a horrible feeling, didn't feel the crush oddly enough but I think I was too preoccupied with the fact I was floating somewhat.

It was going down one of the tunnels, everybody rushing to get out. Loads of blokes shouting and pushing as the crush meant nobody was moving, then like a cork out of a bottle it eased. Horrible experience.

Scariest for me was a night match at Roker Park, just a few weeks before Hillsborough.

Not so much because City took thousands (we didn't) but more that the Police had herded us into a couple of cramped pens, with loads of empty space on either side.

City won 4-2, but I recall a sense of fear that I wasn't quite in control of my own body.

Yes. At times it gets forgotten as the years have passed and the hatred between clubs gets stoked up. It truly was horrific and in those days it could have been any of us. As a kid I remember being caught up in a crush at the end of a game leaving the Kippax. It was terrifying. My feet were off the floor and I couldn't breath or move. Thankfully it only lasted seconds until it eased and I was released but it was a horrible feeling.
I remember at the 1985 Charlton game (48,000 my arse) being lifted off my feet in the crowd on the Kippax with my shoe coming off and then not being able to expand my chest as I was being crushed. It was only for a few seconds but felt much longer.
I felt so helpless, God knows what those poor people went through.
Was at Blackburn when we heard the news.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.