Hong Kong and British Guarantees

BobKowalski

China is cracking down on HK using Covid 19 as a pretext. Given Hong Kong has approx 250,000 British Nationals living in it, and 30,000 UK born citizens, and Beijing is about to extraterritorially impose its censor and law on Hong Kong, breaking an international treaty we supposedly guarantee, are we about to speak up or do anything? Will we provide safe harbour for nationals who want to leave?

The national security bill isn’t even here yet and today Hong Kong already resembles a police state

Why would we? We promised many ethnic groups in Burma we would protect them and some free states and that we would not tollerate any persecution in the futre, but then just fucked off and left them to be opressed and murdered by the military juntas that have come since.

There is a long history of washing our hands of our promises to ex colonies if it isn't in our interest.

Also let's be honest international law is flouted all the time by the most powerful nations with people turning a blind eye, why would this be different?

I like Hong Kong, and enjoyed when I have visited, but I cannot see our weak government getting involved unless it is in our economic interests

Why would we? We promised many ethnic groups in Burma we would protect them and some free states and that we would not tollerate any persecution in the futre, but then just fucked off and left them to be opressed and murdered by the military juntas that have come since.

There is a long history of washing our hands of our promises to ex colonies if it isn't in our interest.

Also let's be honest international law is flouted all the time by the most powerful nations with people turning a blind eye, why would this be different?

I like Hong Kong, and enjoyed when I have visited, but I cannot see our weak government getting involved unless it is in our economic interests

Agreed. In this case though China is breaching the Sino-British Joint Declaration so I presumed the British Govt might like to, oh I don’t know, mention it in passing or at least send a snarky tweet perhaps? We seem happy to dash off letters to the EU pointing out the error of their ways so a peep of protest from Raab would seem to be in order given the number of British nationals living there.

Agreed. In this case though China is breaching the Sino-British Joint Declaration so I presumed the British Govt might like to, oh I don’t know, mention it in passing or at least send a snarky tweet perhaps? We seem happy to dash off letters to the EU pointing out the error of their ways so a peep of protest from Raab would seem to be in order given the number of British nationals living there.

Joanna Lumley has a better track record of defending people Britain owes a debt of gratitude to. I don't think Ab Fab aired in Bejing darling.....

Apparently we did issue a statement along with *checks notes* Australia and Canada. No disrespect to these two fine countries but think we need more heavy weight support than that.

Labour have written to Raab on HK and status of British nationals etc. I agree though that the chances of us doing anything that matters are zero. I’m not even sure we can do anything that matters.

Don't have all the details but seems a good opening initiative. Source BBC

‘Breaking: @DominicRaab tells China that unless it suspends plans for new security laws in Hong Kong, the UK will give greater visa rights to 300,000+ British National (Overseas) passport holders. Current right to 6 mths in Britain without visa would be increased to 12 mths’

Realistically, what can we even do?

We're not the superpower anymore.

The only thing we could do is give them British citizenship. They are a highly educated state.
Might help solve the problem that will be caused by the exodus of EU workers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.