How do you engage in politics, healthily?

shemnel

how do you, how does 'one', engage in politics without it effecting you/one adversely?

I never post on the politics forum as i fear it will end in rage, but i am extremely interested in politics.

2021 was a real test though, the wild politicisation of the pandemic, the conduct of MPs & the PM, Brexit stuff, inflation and on and on.......

Is it wise to just bury your head in the sand and get on with what you can control? my wife says i'm happiest when i'm in my most 'ignorant' phases, i.e. on the news websites a lot less or not at all. But at the same time, the idea of being ignorant to the issues in our country and the world is a terrible thought. Is there a way to just let it go, realise you are powerless but enjoy the debate? or is it better to take affirmative action and join campaigns etc and feel/make that difference?

thoughts from the BM hive mind would be interesting.

I think affirmative action/campaigning is more healthy because even if you don't get anywhere there is a level of empowerment in getting at least heard.
The problem with social media (politics forum on here largely a good example) is that it doesn't stimulate debate so much as polarisation and a bunker mentality. Sadly this generally ends with said bunker mentality and mud-slinging. The internet/social media has resulted in the extreme 5% at either end of each debate portraying themselves as the voice of reason, while the remaining 90% drift away due to the mental health issues of the keyboard obsessives (imho).

I was quite into politics pre-Brexit but nowadays I find it completely depressing and get less involved. Essentially you're allowed two choices, you either support the right-wing which means you're a Tory, pro-Trump, pro-Brexit etc or you're a Corbynite, anti-Tory and pretty much anti-anything.

If you don't fit into either of these camps and aren't willing to get into the trenches with them then it's not worth getting involved because these two groups will squash you. We see it on here where the political threads are heavily weighted with an anti-Tory, anti-Brexit message but they're also anti-Labour nowadays because they still support Corbyn (who was pro-Brexit, go figure?!).

I think the vast majority of the population nowadays would say that they're politically homeless and I include myself in that which says it all really. So actually there is no healthy way to engage in politics because you'll get butchered unless you fall into line...

The big problem nowadays is it’s all at the superficial level, it’s rare that a debate or a discussion really gets to a level of people wanting to truly understand why someone else has a different opinion or outlook. I’ve always found that that’s where the most interesting conversations actually are though and where the most value is. Brexit is a prime example where I don’t think either side actually listened properly.

In personal relationships, I tend to not discuss politics at all. I was brought up on no political discussion in the house and looking back now, I see a lot of merit in that.

I agree with the comments that polarisation is ruining debate, not only does it antagonise and cause upheaval but it's completely off-putting for further engagement.

I used to think being engaged with the council etc and trying to enact change from within was wise, and certainly a commendable ambition, but fuck getting started on by Baz from number 64 'cos he 'hates them toffs'

Let me give you an example of what politics is, these days:

In the last 4 weeks, 1 at the start of the month and 1, yesterday, I happened to speak to people on politics face to face. The first happened to catch my comments on the state of the country and she asked me about my views on BloJo. She responded that she 'liked him' because he was funny,, relatable and dropped in long words, so he's very well educated and knows what he's talking about.

I was, truly, astonished! Having asked what he's actually done, she cited Brexit and COVID! Weirdly, she agreed that the country was in a mess, but he needed time to put it right. She finished off by saying she couldn't have voted Corbyn because he was "slimy" and "pompous"! I said, so you'd rather vote a guy who's laughing and dragging the country down, for comedic value, rather than a guy who wanted the right things, but didn't quite 'fit the mould'.

Yes, she said. I walked away at that point.

Second, was yesterday about Obama. After watching a comedy special were the comedian wished Obama was still running the country, I scoffed and my friend asked why I did that as she thought Obama did an amazing job. I asked what he did that was of any benefit and she couldn't name anything, but that he was 'cool' as a pres. I dropped knowledge on her about his Pres and she was still in his corner.

Her BJ for me at the end of the night, almost wasn't worth it, I tell ya...

*edit, my point being, not enough of the average voter seems to know enough about the politician outside what the media sells them.

Political debate has gone down the toilet it isn't worth getting into with anyone. Entrenched views echo chambers and all that goes with it.

The chattering classes have turned into the muttering stuttering fools and the Conservatives are just what they are, Conservatives.

I was quite into politics pre-Brexit but nowadays I find it completely depressing and get less involved. Essentially you're allowed two choices, you either support the right-wing which means you're a Tory, pro-Trump, pro-Brexit etc or you're a Corbynite, anti-Tory and pretty much anti-anything.

If you don't fit into either of these camps and aren't willing to get into the trenches with them then it's not worth getting involved because these two groups will squash you. We see it on here where the political threads are heavily weighted with an anti-Tory, anti-Brexit message but they're also anti-Labour nowadays because they still support Corbyn (who was pro-Brexit, go figure?!).

I think the vast majority of the population nowadays would say that they're politically homeless and I include myself in that which says it all really. So actually there is no healthy way to engage in politics because you'll get butchered unless you fall into line...
If it’s any consolation you are not unique in Britain.
There are a lot here in Ireland and I’d guess, elsewhere in the world too, that have felt politically homeless for quite some time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.