How to boil rice so it isn't soggy

One cup of rice into a saucepan. One cup of boiling water. Salt. Stir. Leave on very low heat for 11 minutes with lid on. Turn off heat. Leave with lid on for another 11 minutes. Voila, cooked rice.

Married to an Asian I have this mastered to a tee!

Boiled Rice
Buy top quality rice - Extra Long grain Basmati rice
Kohinoor-%E2%80%93-Extra-Long-Basmati-Rice-5-kg-Bag-500x500.jpg

As mentioned before buy a rice cooker
Wash the rice in water to remove the starch
1 1/4 cups water to 1 cup rice - normally use 2 cups rice so just double the water (the key is not too much water)
I add 2 or 3 Himalayan Pink Salt crystals and pepper
Himalayan_coarse_l.jpg

Then simply wait for the rice cooker to tell you when it is cooked

It's easy to slightly adjust the recipe
Add Saffron to give you Saffon infused rice
Add Turmeric to give you a lovely yellow coloured rice
Add coconut milk, spices and kidney beans to give you spicy rice and peas - http://cooklikeajamaican.com/rice-and-peas/

If you want to do sticky rice
thaistickyricebag.jpg

Soak the rice for 4 hours in a little cold water before cooking
I do the same ratio as above for rice to water and salt/ spice to taste
The key is never to stir the rice
When you think it is ready just poke a fork in the middle and prise it from the center to see if all the water has gone
Add a little salt then sit the rice for 20 minutes at room temperature before eating

If you want to do sticky rice
thaistickyricebag.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I see what you did there..

Then simply wait for the rice cooker to tell you when it is cooked..
Who's that then missus:)

Lived in asia for many years.
A rice cooker makes it easy but generally speaking I wash the rice then put it in the pan with equal parts of water and put on a low heat with tightly fitting lid.
I'm sure lots of other ways work but they sound much more complicated than they need to be.

PS part of the secret is in the title, boiling rice is wrong in asia it is usually called steamed rice.

My wife me when I'm doing rice the best way to work out hiw much water you need is to do the following. To put rice in cooker then stick in my index finger so the tip is touching the rice then fill cooker with water until it reaches the first joint on the finger.

Works everytime even if I'm using the microwave rice steamer or the big rice cooker.

Jasmine or Basmati are best in my opinion. 1 cup rice, 2 cups water. throw in saucepan with lid on, bring to boil, drop heat to simmer for 15 mins.

Do NOT take lid off at any time until the end.No fork fluffing, no soaking .Keep it simple every time, flawless

Pot, heat.
Your amount of rice + 1/2tbsp of cooking oil.
Stir.
Add boiling water to cover the rice + half it's depth.
Cover pot with lid, rest on lowest heat.

When water is gone (10-15 mins), rice is done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.