How to solve the housing crisis?

I thought your lego idea was awesome mate
6740890343_37784aac8d_b.jpg

I'm by no means an expert, but for what it's worth. Giving tenants more rights in rental properties would be a start. Legally limit the amount that landlords are allowed to increase rent and make it extremely difficult to kick out tenants who pay their rent on time. This will reduce the demand for property, because rental is a realistic long-term solution, like it is in Germany. Secondly, limit the ability of foreign investors/embezzlers to buy property in places where there is a limited supply. There's no reason why we should allow some corrupt Russian or Chinese businessman to store their money in empty London property while British people are struggle to find a place to live. And obviously build more housing, particularly social housing, but I can't help but think that long-term, we need to have an economy where all of the jobs aren't in London and the South East. Again, something a bit more like Germany's federal system.

The first suggestion is never going to happen because half of the Tory bench make money from renting out property. For the same reason, they have very little interest in property values going down, and so have no motivation to stop foreign investors pushing prices up either. So other than a bit of lip service and a minimal council house building project, I can't see much changing. Grenfell Tower will be an interesting one, because at some point it will be demolished. Who's betting that it will be replaced at least partly with expensive, luxury flats?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.