Hyde Road Hotel / The City Gates

Dr Mick

Can someone please tell me what stands on the this famous site today? I am guessing that it's somewhere near Bennett Street would would love to exactly pin point the site of this famous pub.

Hope someone (probably called Gary) can help.

Thanks.

Isn't there a plaque there now? Shame really, would have been nice for it to have been saved. I've not looked for it, but if you go on the Council's photo archive, there might be a pic of it in there which will allow you to work out where it was.

I'm sure it's now a patch of grass on the right hand side of Hyde Road as you head towards town just a little ways after Hyde Road Tyres and the railway bridge/a good bit before the bus depot.

I understand that a small part of the structure was saved and is held with other City artifacts by the club. I know that the fans did try to save it at the time and yes if Sheikh Mansour had been around then maybe it could have been bought.

Thanks pal for the reply. I'm planning a bit of a history walk for a friend who is visiting from Spain. I think that as the next glorious chapter begins now more than ever its important to remember our wonderful history.

TGR said:
I'm sure big George Heslop was the landlord for a while.

yes he was - some point in the late 70's early 80's i think. That place would have been absolutely rocking on Sunday night if it had still been a working pub.

Very sad really.

went there in the 80's when it was rebranded as City Gates and big george was running it. They had lots of city pictures on the walls but the pub itself was deserted. In the Maine Rd days it was too far off the beaten track for most blues. You could tell it wasn't going to last but if it was there now I'm sure it would do ok.

It occupied the triangle of land between Hyde Rd, Bennett St and the railway arches. was a petrol station/car wash for a while after the pub was demolished.

Story goes that players got changed in the back of the hotel and jogged across Bennett St under the railway line and into the ground. The cobbled back alley to the hotel is still visible but thats about it unfortunately.

been to have a look around bennet st, hyde road area today,, how sure are you the hyde road hotel was in this location? i seem to remember it as the city gates in the 80's although i thought it was about 100 metre's futher down the road towards town, defo worth having a look, any more information on the alleyway the players used to get from the pub to the ground? cheers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.