If Hughes stays...

Marvin said:
He hasn't won trophies, but his record at Blackburn - after the era of Jack Walker - was very impressive. He qualified Blackburn for the UEFA Cup through the League, and got them into the semi-finalS of the Cups. Not bad considering they were relegation material.

The football City have played at home this season has been the best from a City team I have seen. Even in the defeat at home to everton, the 1st half hour was very high quality.

His transfers for Blackburn and City have been outstanding - surely a key factor for the current City manager

It's December - not even 6 months into his contract, and we're having this discussion. When he was appointed, Chelsea were very strongly linked with Hughes. It was reported that Kenyon wanted Hughes, but Abramovic wanted a foreign manager. Whatever the truth of it, City could hardly expect a better quality manager - and I expect him to prove that over the coming years. You had better get used to it, because City's owners are not going to sack him

That's all very well but in the grand scheme of things it's not really that good is it? Yes he did well at Blackburn but doing well at Blackburn and taking us into a position where we are challenging for the league are two very different things. We want to believe that Hughes is a manager capable of taking us where the richest club in the world should be and that's challenging for the league and in Europe (champions league not waffer) but as it is nothing he has ever done or what he is doing suggests he's good enough.

jay_mcfc said:
Marvin said:
He hasn't won trophies, but his record at Blackburn - after the era of Jack Walker - was very impressive. He qualified Blackburn for the UEFA Cup through the League, and got them into the semi-finalS of the Cups. Not bad considering they were relegation material.

The football City have played at home this season has been the best from a City team I have seen. Even in the defeat at home to everton, the 1st half hour was very high quality.

His transfers for Blackburn and City have been outstanding - surely a key factor for the current City manager

It's December - not even 6 months into his contract, and we're having this discussion. When he was appointed, Chelsea were very strongly linked with Hughes. It was reported that Kenyon wanted Hughes, but Abramovic wanted a foreign manager. Whatever the truth of it, City could hardly expect a better quality manager - and I expect him to prove that over the coming years. You had better get used to it, because City's owners are not going to sack him

That's all very well but in the grand scheme of things it's not really that good is it? Yes he did well at Blackburn but doing well at Blackburn and taking us into a position where we are challenging for the league are two very different things. We want to believe that Hughes is a manager capable of taking us where the richest club in the world should be and that's challenging for the league and in Europe (champions league not waffer) but as it is nothing he has ever done or what he is doing suggests he's good enough.

Hughes' record with Blackburn is comparable with Big Sam's at Bolton. Relatively successful, crap to watch, no nonsense rustic football.

Would we be saying give Sam a chance? I think not.

jay_mcfc said:
Marvin said:

Fair play Marvin yo do make some valid points, and yes getting Blackburn to semi finals, keeping them up and qualifying for Europe are all acceptable achievements (of which, many of us would be proud). However, Blackburn were doing reasonably okay in the seasons before he came, having qualified for Europe and won the Carling cup so I would argue he never actually pushed them on as such.

He has moderate success in the transfer market but he is no Arsene Wnger is he?

Whether or not he is right for City is a question that will probably divide the supporters (in the nicest way) forever.

I have supported City for many many years and was fortunate enough to be at Wembley in 1976.

I like to think I can identify mediocrity when I see it (taking on board the amount I have witnessed over the last 39 years. I am afraid that is exactly what I see in Mark Hughes - it has nothing do with the fact he used to play for Ushited.

Scorer wrote:

"If someone could enlighten me I would welcome it, all I get is abuse and insults (not that either worries me in the slightest) rather than answers to the questions."

Don't know about the enlightening bit..might want to chat to Buddha or something for that but...

maybe you've decided that Les aint the man for the job and thus won't allow yourself to see anything else..even if its just in front of you. Believe and you will see or see and you will believe. And yes, some might have decided that Les is the man for the job and won't see anything else....

where does that leave us? 'My dad's bigger than yours maybe? :-)' But, hey, its kinda fun dontcha think?

arfurclue said:
Scorer wrote:

"If someone could enlighten me I would welcome it, all I get is abuse and insults (not that either worries me in the slightest) rather than answers to the questions."

Don't know about the enlightening bit..might want to chat to Buddha or something for that but...

maybe you've decided that Les aint the man for the job and thus won't allow yourself to see anything else..even if its just in front of you. Believe and you will see or see and you will believe. And yes, some might have decided that Les is the man for the job and won't see anything else....

where does that leave us? 'My dad's bigger than yours maybe? :-)' But, hey, its kinda fun dontcha think?

Yah boo sucks...

You wouldn't happen to be a certain Mr Hughes would you?? It's just your name kind of draws me to that conclusion :O)

Welcome to the mad house, you look like your a newbie!

PistonBlue said:
Hughes' record with Blackburn is comparable with Big Sam's at Bolton. Relatively successful, crap to watch, no nonsense rustic football.

Would we be saying give Sam a chance? I think not.

Haha I was just thinking exactly the same. You could argue that Sam's stint as Bolton boss was more successful than Hughes at Blackburn (not really an arguement I could be arsed going in to) so as you say should we have given Big Sam the job??

Agree with the Allardyce/Hughes comparisons. I'd also say that Allardyce achieved more with less resources.

But in the end, as Fat Sam found with the Geordies, doing well with no resources is a different kettle of fish to doing well with a lot more to spend.

Hughes needs to live or die on what he does at City, not what he did with Blackburn.

Whether things will better or worse under Hughes over the coming weeks who knows , as I said before the players he picks have to step up to the mark and more then the fans have his fate in their hands.

I don't subscribe to the theory that he will not be sacked if things don't improve , he will and he knows it and he should expect it.

Any manager would especially if they fall well below expectation.

The days of giving a manager time if things don't go to plan or you fall well below expectation are gone , it may not be appropriate at times , it may upset some but thats how it is.

There are a number of reasons why we are where we are and the only question is do we have the manager in our current midst and a group of players at our disposal to change that from now until May 2009.

We all have our opinions on that.

The owners given the best possible information available to them will have to make a decision sooner rather than later I suggest should things continue as they have been , its not rocket science , its just the business of football where winners are grinners and losers can please themselves.

There always comes a point in time where someone empowered with the decision will convince themselves that a manager has to go , it could be a set of results or sometimes it gets down to one game.

Its only an opinion but I think Hughes already is at the crossroads despite what Cook and others may spiel.

The results of the next three games will decide if he gets a stay of proceedings or we are looking for someone else in the new year.

No its not good for stability it may even upset a few players for differing reasons.

Having the public backing of owners and CEO's has never been a mandate for a club to keep a manager for a long time.

Look at the premier league at present and count the number of them that have been at the club for more than 3 seasons.

Results are what matter and if you don't them as a manager or you fail to meet your objectives you don't stay at a club for very long.

I doubt at the start of this season the clubs objective was to involve itself in survival this season despite our poor finish last season.

The only player Hughes was responsible for purchasing, was SWP.

Magnificent

The January transfer window will be the birth of the modern era.

8 - 1 against Middlesbrough was Sven's legacy.

Eight goals to one.

If it takes three years, I would rather wait.

I have waited my entire life.

Pride in Battle......................

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.