Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Niceness doesn’t come into the ability to make the final pass. You can’t get a nicer player than Kev or David and it doesn’t seem to adversely impact their game. Really not sure where you are coming from.

He pulls out from challenges and doesn’t press like Kev or Dave. Niceness can come into affect during that final pass because it’s a confidence thing. Confidence comes from a desire to win and trusting your ablity. It could very well be nothing but I don’t see the ferocity from him that you see in Dave, Kev, jesus, Sane, fern, Walker, Nico, and at times Kun. Peak Yaya was fiery too.

I rate him though and think he’s close to having a good run of form. I’m rooting for the guy absolutely.

He pulls out from challenges and doesn’t press like Kev or Dave. Niceness can come into affect during that final pass because it’s a confidence thing. Confidence comes from a desire to win and trusting your ablity. It could very well be nothing but I don’t see the ferocity from him that you see in Dave, Kev, jesus, Sane, fern, Walker, Nico, and at times Kun. Peak Yaya was fiery too.

I rate him though and think he’s close to having a good run of form. I’m rooting for the guy absolutely.
He is still tentative because of the serial serious injuries which have impacted his confidence. Nothing to do with niceness, he still lacks physical confidence. Wether he recovers that is anyone’s guess.

That’s a good post and I pretty much agree with you Dom. There’s been talk about how our team has too many ‘nice’ guys in it for years and he’s as nice as they come. I’m wondering if he lacks that mental toughness and or killer instinct. Certainly seems like it to me. That’s a very important trait for me personally but I probably slightly overrate that and it’s definetly the ‘American tough sports guy’ in me coming out. Is that archaic thinking? It might be a little bit..but the value is astronomical if you have it in abundance with the talent (think Suarez, D Costa, Vidal Radja Sanchez).

@Dax777 curious what dax thinks on this

I agree with you completely, and it's something we definitely need in my opinion. A refuse to lose attitude. Get in the refs' faces, get in opponents' faces, little niggly treads on toes at corners or constant verbals to known opposition hot-heads to get them wound up and hopefully sent off.

The best teams have this attitude and I respect it, even if I don't like the best exponents of it; Keown, Keane, Terry, the Aussie cricketers of the 90s ("aw shit mate, you just dropped the world cup") but they were serial winners and took no shit.

We need this, especially given the standard of officiating and how much they let opponents get away with against us.

I agree with you completely, and it's something we definitely need in my opinion. A refuse to lose attitude. Get in the refs' faces, get in opponents' faces, little niggly treads on toes at corners or constant verbals to known opposition hot-heads to get them wound up and hopefully sent off.

The best teams have this attitude and I respect it, even if I don't like the best exponents of it; Keown, Keane, Terry, the Aussie cricketers of the 90s ("aw shit mate, you just dropped the world cup") but they were serial winners and took no shit.

We need this, especially given the standard of officiating and how much they let opponents get away with against us.

What a load of shite

do you ever think things through?

Just not quick enough on the ball, but he can pick a pass so ypu coukd say he is a bit like Yaya without the strength. Not a game changer as yet. Hopefully will improve.

He is still tentative because of the serial serious injuries which have impacted his confidence. Nothing to do with niceness, he still lacks physical confidence. Wether he recovers that is anyone’s guess.

Ilke talking about his injury:

“I am quite sure that I will never be the same player again that I was,” he told MEN Sport recently .

“But that doesn’t mean that I will be weaker or not of the same quality. Just a different player

“That was the second injury on my knee, so obviously my knee doesn’t feel like the knee of a 20-year-old footballer who is at the beginning of his professional career.

“I need to do things to take care of everything, but especially the knee.

“Having treatment every day, my routines before and after games, just taking care of my body in general.

“I don’t think it’s an abnormal thing. It’s quite normal at my age - you just need to be more sensible with everything.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.