I'm writing a City article - help needed!

Nicky D

Hi guys, I’m going to be writing an article for issue 4 of Topical City and I’m looking for a little fan input. I’ll be writing an article about City’s kit history, focussing specifically on the 97-99 Kappa home kit. This article will hopefully (if good enough!) be the first of a few concerning individual City strips.

If your memory allows it, I’m after your initial thoughts of the kit at the time, and also your view of the kit now. Has it dated? Where does it stand amongst your favourites?

But overall I’m after any or all of your thoughts about a kit which, by the end of its lifespan, came to represent a City side finally on the up, at the tail end of pretty eventful decade! In view of the changes that the club has undergone since the kit was first worn, I thought it’d be an appropriate choice to start with.

Personally, I was thrilled with the kit on release. As much as I loved its predecessor, the boldness of the Kappa strip was refreshing after years of shirts consisting of lighter and lighter shades of sky blue. The matching patterns down the sleeves and shorts looked pretty smart too.

So if you could PM me with your thoughts it’d be very much appreciated. I’m undecided as to whether I’ll quote individual responses, or instead collate the answers to form an overview, but any responses would be great!

Cheers,
Nick

The Kappa kit created a buzz amongst fans, mainly because there was little else to get excited about. What you may have forgotten, is that we had got so poor at the time that Franny Lee actually decided to change the club colours. he felt that sky blue was "weak" and commission a new colour which was called "lazer blue". So that Kappa kit was a lot darker than traditional City kits, on the advice of psycologists.

Obviously it didn't work as we were relegated twice in it.

Personally, I hated that kit. The "Kappa" stripe was far too broad and it looked tacky.

I was about 9 when this kit came out and it still remains probably by all time favourite. I totally agree that the lazer blue was completely unprecedented in football and remains pretty iconic in my view.

If I remember right then this is the last kit to don the brother sponsor? Again, an iconic City sponsor compared to its sucessors Eidos, Thomas Cook, etc

A top kit and a timeless classic and evokes all the memories of our time in the doldrums

just put your hand halfway over the upper part of the kappa motif and that will tell everything?

Didsbury Dave said:
The Kappa kit created a buzz amongst fans, mainly because there was little else to get excited about. What you may have forgotten, is that we had got so poor at the time that Franny Lee actually decided to change the club colours. he felt that sky blue was "weak" and commission a new colour which was called "lazer blue". So that Kappa kit was a lot darker than traditional City kits, on the advice of psycologists.

Personally, I hated that kit. The "Kappa" stripe was far too broad and it looked tacky.

I remember that the word from the designers was that they were aiming for a blue closer to that worn in the 70s - I know it was too dark, but it was definitely needed given how pale the shirts were becoming.

Dave, I'd have to contend your view that that there was nothing to get excited about. As I remember there was a fair amount of optimism that we'd get promoted, and the new badge and strip only added to that. Only to be punctured by a top-heavy squad littered with mediocrity and too little real class, steered by a man in no way up to the task.

Nicky D said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I remember that the word from the designers was that they were aiming for a blue closer to that worn in the 70s - I know it was too dark, but it was definitely needed given how pale the shirts were becoming.

Dave, I'd have to contend your view that that there was nothing to get excited about. As I remember there was a fair amount of optimism that we'd get promoted, and the new badge and strip only added to that. Only to be punctured by a top-heavy squad littered with mediocrity and too little real class, steered by a man in no way up to the task.

Well you're right to a degree. Kinkladze was staying and we'd got some cash together through a rights issue and bought Lee Bradbury and one or two others. Oasis were massive and brought City some credability at the time too.

But all that optimism washed away quickly as the season started. Wasn't this under Frank Clark?

Oh and I hated that new badge too. Still do. Another of Franny's follies.

Didsbury Dave said:
But all that optimism washed away quickly as the season started. Wasn't this under Frank Clark?

Yep. I hear Frank Clark and I think Paul Beesley, Jason van Blerk and Ged Brannan, such terrible times!

Nicky D said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Yep. I hear Frank Clark and I think Paul Beesley, Jason van Blerk and Ged Brannan, such terrible times!

First time I saw us wear that kit was at Turf Moor in a friendly, on a hot day, when we won 3-0 and Bradbury scored two. I thought the good times were finally here again. Six months later Bury beat us at Maine Road and the board turned on each other.

Didsbury Dave said:
Just the once, wasn't it?

I agree about the previous home kits under Umbro; they were becoming so pale they almost looked white, but I still always thought lazer blue was a step too far (especially the monstrosities that LCS served up).

I much preferred the white/navy/maroon away kit, although I seemed to be in the minority.

Dubai Blue said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Just the once, wasn't it?

I agree about the previous home kits under Umbro; they were becoming so pale they almost looked white, but I still always thought lazer blue was a step too far (especially the monstrosities that LCS served up).

I much preferred the white/navy/maroon away kit, although I seemed to be in the minority.

Yes it was just once, you're right DB.

Never worn City shirts personally but I used to like the old umbro polo shirts with the old round badge on. Had one of those in navy. All football kits were awful in those days - shiny, overbearing and tacky. IT was just before the era when clubs realised that if the shirt was less tacky is might sell more.

Was in the Kappa kit which sold 120,000 and was in the top 3 best sellers? I think it was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.