Incentive Payments to Other Teams

Dubai Blue

I remember hearing Sid Lowe and James Richardson talk about this on Guardian Football Weekly a couple of years ago. Apparently in Spain and Italy it is fairly common practice for big teams that are reliant on the result of another game to offer up an incentive payment to the team they need to win.

For example, if AC Milan needed Siena to beat Inter Milan on the last day of the season and Siena had absolutely nothing to play for themselves, Milan could offer up an incentive of, say, £100k per Siena player to win the game.

It struck me at the time as being completely morally reprehensible and I couldn't believe that the authorities had no problem with teams behaving in such a way.

But City's Champions League predicament got me thinking; if it was not against competition rules to do so (which I imagine it is), how would my fellow Blues feel about City doing such a thing with Villareal?

For the record, I'd be disgusted if City stooped so low, but I'm just interested to hear other Blues' opinions on the issue in general. Does everyone find it as wrong as I do or is there a time and a place for it?

Its bribing, with a different result. You should have an incentive to win every time, not because you've had £100k wiffed under your nose.

They are ready have a cash incentive. If they win they got more money from UEFA.

I didn't realise this was common practice in Spain and Italy, but certainly wouldn't want to see it happen here. I'd be appalled if City were to do with Villareal, even if it was within the rules of European competition (which I suspect it is not).

Ric said:
I didn't realise this was common practice in Spain and Italy, but certainly wouldn't want to see it happen here. I'd be appalled if City were to do with Villareal, even if it was within the rules of European competition (which I suspect it is not).

it is absolutely prohibited in italy. and i'm almost sure in spain too.

Mancio said:
Ric said:

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this, but I definitely remember them talking about it. Maybe it used to happen and a blind eye was turned to it despite it being illegal??

I know some of the Italian teams, towards the end, if both need a draw at the end to stay up or whatever, it's a draw.

Inter and Lazio are pretty chummy they helped each other out in the past.

Dubai Blue said:
Mancio said:
Ric said:

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this, but I definitely remember them talking about it. Maybe it used to happen and a blind eye was turned to it despite it being illegal??

no.<br /><br />-- Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:01 pm --<br /><br />
gelly said:
I know some of the Italian teams, towards the end, if both need a draw at the end to stay up or whatever, it's a draw.

Inter and Lazio are pretty chummy they helped each other out in the past.

this is true , unfortunally. end of season see few "strange" draws here.

Mancio said:
Dubai Blue said:
Mancio said:

no.
I guess that's the end of the thread then!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.