International Matches | November 9th - 16th

Lots of our own likely to be involved tonight at Wembley.
Ederson, Danilo, Fernandinho, Jesus, Stones and Walker by my reckoning.
Just praying we don’t pick up any injuries or worse injure each other.
I hate international friendlies. Waste of time.

Like many, I suspect, sorry for Buffon, not sorry for Italy. Positively hated the way they won the WC in 2006 (but then, I was unashamedly biased in favour of France).
More generally, what strikes – and has struck – me for decades, is how generally closed-in and autarchic Italian football is. They've never had a foreign manager for their national team. Ok, fair enough, England are probably the exception in having had one. So, nothing unusual about that. But how many foreign managers have been successful in Serie A? Mourinho, and then I'm struggling to think of anyone else. How many top-level Italian players have played abroad, in any league, in recent times? How many top-level players in their own league? They're mad about football, it really is a religion over there, but they don't seem to have developed along with the other major leagues in Europe.

By the way, perhaps I should add that I've been to Italy on a number of occasions, speak serviceable Italian, and am very fond of the country. So it's not about that.

Italy were the best team in 2006 and deservedly beat France. Italy play best when nothing is expected of them. Eg. The last Euros where they narrowly went out to Germany after easily beating Spain and Belgium. Even in 2008 they got to the Euro’s finals and played good football. they absolutely battered England despite drawing 0-0.

The problem with Italy is when they expect. Or when they actually have what appears to be some good talents they struggle to make them into a team. When they have more industrial players they form a hard to beat team and in the past have always had a top notch striker to put the ball in the net.

Recent years they’ve lacked either the industry and have had to many flair players to fit in and argue about or they have not had a top notch striker. I mean they have been relying on Eder and Pelle in Euro 2016. Players who would not have even got more than a cap or two in the last if they were lucky.

They have always had very good sometimes brilliant defenders which always gives Italy a platform. It has either been followed by an industrious midfield, then a great number 10 or fantista and finally at least on top striker.

This team had the decent backline - not the best they have had but very solid. The midfield had players that could have fashioned a good midfield De Rossi, Jorginho & Verratti. They also have great wide players Insigne, Candreva, El Sharwary, Bernadeschi, Berardi. Up top Belotti can be a top striker. But this was the problem trying to get the right players on the pitch, making the right formation for the players available.

The fact Jorginho and Insigne did not play the whole qualification in their correct positions says it all. Should have been a 4-3-3 similar to what Napoli play. Instead Ventura was changing the formation every game rather than using the players he had in the most familiar formation to them that utilised their strengths.

A good manager will sort this Italy team out. Plenty of talent there. More so than in previous years. However, just like in 1992 when Italy had arguably the strongest squad in world football they failed to qualify. They like to make an arse of things when it is easy and when they are written off they defy the odds. Guess it has always been like this.

This,one good thing is the south americans don't have to travel far compared to what they usually have to do,i think our players will take it easy on each other,there is no point going full throttle in this game

Spain trained earlier in St Petersburg without David Silva, who worked separately on the sidelines. He could miss Tuesday's friendly against Russia.

Send him home please

Ederson, Danilo and Fernandinho aren't expected to start:

Although on current form Dinho should probably be starting over Renato Augusto and Ederson ahs been slightly better than Allison but they're both having very good seasons. Not that I'm complaining though, the more rest the better.

i think on of the main problems italy are having now is that most of the top italian teams dont have many italian players and arent bringing through many either. inter, juve, ac milan have a few, but no where near what they used to have. those teams used to be built on italian players now they have sometimes 1 or 3 or 4 max in the side.

It's hard to picture Brasil not scoring.

Tin hat on but I think Neymar is currently the worlds best player.

It's hard to picture Brasil not scoring.

Tin hat on but I think Neymar is currently the worlds best player.

I can't say i have watched him that much this season. I think it would be harsh to give you pelters for that as he is in and around that level. Another may say Messi and another may say another player like KDB or Ronaldo, you would all have good reason for making your choices and not get laughed out of town imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.