Investments

abu13

Team supported
Gods own
I have been thinking of posting this for a little while but with the cost of living crisis thought it may seem a little crass, it isn't meant to be, and I am genuinely curious.

To cut a long story short, i am in a fortunate position where i have now paid off my mortgage have no debt and have a good level of savings behind me (equivilent of 12 months expenses). I also have a healthy pension pot that I continue to contribute to each month, Have another 15 years before I can draw my state pension but ideally want to finish in 10 years.

I have 75% of my savings in a Bank account and the remaining 25% in a Vanguard stocks and shares ISA, but i don't want to keep topping up my savings account if I can make my money work for me, I just wondered what others do with regard to investing their money.

I could keep adding to the Vanguard ISA or ramp up my pension contributions, but would be interested in how others make their money grow.

Any suggestions other than Cocaine & Hookers?

I have been thinking of posting this for a little while but with the cost of living crisis thought it may seem a little crass, it isn't meant to be, and I am genuinely curious.

To cut a long story short, i am in a fortunate position where i have now paid off my mortgage have no debt and have a good level of savings behind me (equivilent of 12 months expenses). I also have a healthy pension pot that I continue to contribute to each month, Have another 15 years before I can draw my state pension but ideally want to finish in 10 years.

I have 75% of my savings in a Bank account and the remaining 25% in a Vanguard stocks and shares ISA, but i don't want to keep topping up my savings account if I can make my money work for me, I just wondered what others do with regard to investing their money.

I could keep adding to the Vanguard ISA or ramp up my pension contributions, but would be interested in how others make their money grow.

Hookers and cocaine

Just send me your bank details and I'll get you into this new pyramid scheme I'm starting

Abu. Presumably If you’ve got cash in a bank account I hope you’ve managed to find a half decent interest rate? If not whilst you’re pondering check out a company called Flagstone. They charge you to use their platform through which you can invest in a range of FSA accredited accounts with some decent interest rates if you’re prepared to lock the cash away for a year or whatever. The rates they can access were better than anything I could find a few months back. One warning though make sure you use the ‘real’ Flagstone company and not the outfit who set up in a similar way with a similar name and are scamming folk.

With ten years to go, surely your pension as immediately whatever you deposit is worth 25% more
This was my initial thought, I am down by around £30k this year with the way the market has dropped although i know it is a long term view.

Recessions are bad for virtually everyone Rich or poor. When times are bad it’s about retaining the value of your money that’s being eroded by inflation, but it’s rare that this is ever a short term strategy. Bond markets are usually the most secure.

We will all come out of the next few years poorer than what we started but the way people become wealthy, as always is by profiteering out of others misfortune I.e house prices fall, repayments are high so you get people losing their homes and business properties. If you have the cash buying these at a discounted price is always a good long term bet, but you might need to sit on them for a few years. Same goes for classic cars if you have somewhere to store them.

But before you decide, wait until what the budget has in store as they may change capital gains tax and tax rules around rental properties.

This was my initial thought, I am down by around £30k this year with the way the market has dropped although i know it is a long term view.
The property fund in my pension was more than making up for the fall in the stock market investments, but that took 10% hit last week
I'm not quite 60 and was looking to retire in two years, but with this collapse in the fund it looks likely yo be three
The stock market will bounce back and you have to be in it to win it
I've just checked and my mixed investments fund is 6.5% down in the last 12 month period but 84% up over the last 10 years

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.