iPhone 4s advice - tethering

not my fault!

Team supported
God’s own
Right one of you must have an answer or solution for me!
I'm currently on Orange & rang them yesterday to see about tethering from my phone to my iPad 2. I'm on a tarrif with unlimited Internet so assumed they'd just switch it on.. Evidently this isn't the case. They want £5 per month extra for 500mb of data usage.
Question is, does anyone know a way or an app to allow me to tether without doing a jailbreak on my phone? I know there have been apps like handy light or iTether but neither are available anymore as Apple removed them. But if one of you has either & knows a way to get it on to my iPhone it'd be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance my fellow blue's ;0)

Pride_In_Battle said:
You should be able to do it by jailbreaking your iphone and installing them through the Cydia appstore. 500mb isn't a lot of data though if you're using the internet through your laptop. probably cover about an hour of BBC iPlayer in standard definition

Cheers but I don't wanna do a jailbreak on it, it's not 100% on ios5 & have heard of people's phones crashing big time. Not gonna take the risk.

Untethered jailbreak not yet available for A5 devices (iPhone 4s, iPad 2) but when it is you'll be able to do this.

As long as you backup your device it shouldn't be a problem .. if it goes tits up you can just restore from a backup (Either through iTunes or iCloud)
The chance of bricking your phone is very, very low.

Paying £5 a month on top of my contract or Jailbreak it and get it for free.. I know my choice!
The contract costs enough on its own nevermind shitty Orange charging me to use a feature that I've essentially already paid for. Who cares how I use my data .. I should be allowed to do what I want with it, without paying extra.

Just switch tethering on on iPhone, in wifi setting menu, and turn wifi on on iPad, iPad will pick up iPhones wifi signal and ask for a pin code which will be displayed on iPhone, no need to jailbreak, works fine for me

SupermansHairGel said:
Just switch tethering on on iPhone, in wifi setting menu, and turn wifi on on iPad, iPad will pick up iPhones wifi signal and ask for a pin code which will be displayed on iPhone, no need to jailbreak, works fine for me

Can't do it, I try to set up the tethering & I get a message saying "contact Orange" I did & was told £5 per month :0(

Be careful if you do decide to do it. 'Unlimited' data usage doesn't often mean as much as you want. What they dont tell you is it means just more than they expect you to use in a month, say 3GB. This is the case with T-mobile and im guessing it goes the same for all networks. So if you do start tethering you still need to keep an eye on your data usage. I would say stay away from streaming, downloading films/music. Browsing the web is fine though.

the '3' network has a fair use policy of 80gb a month. I'll be switching to them when my o2 contract ends! 500mb is a joke

I'm also on 3, tethering is free and fair usage policy is generous. When you can jailbreak the 4s (I'm waiting too), get MyWi from Cydia, I forget the source, until then it's £5 a month mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.