Is religion a load of balls?

I'm sorry, but its like people believing in Peter pan IMO.

Don't want to sound harsh or put a dampener on things, but that's what I think.

As Dawkins states in The God Delusion, religion is a form of child abuse [his words not mine] because whatever religion the parents have the child has. You never have a jewish child of catholic parents, the kids are indoctrinated from birth. Also geography is important because where you are born generally decides your religion, Saudi - muslim, Italy - catholic, Israel - jewish etc. They can't all be right.

Dubai Blue said:
My dad was brought up by strict Irish Catholic parents in Moss Side and he has never respected the religion as an adult

When we grow up and challenge these beliefs we tend to see them for what they are, stories made up by stone age tribes, used to try and explain what at that time could not be explained. Every tribe/race have their own creation stories.

Basically all bullshit

Religion is a teddy bear for those people who are too frightened to face the cold hard fact that you are going to die and thats it.

No wonderful afterlife, no heaven, no hell. The sooner poeple can get to grips the sooner we can evolve.

Does this seem a little abrupt?

Stanley said:
Religion is a teddy bear for those people who are to frightened to face the cold hard fact that you are going to die and thats it.

No wonderful afterlife, no heaven, no hell. The sooner poeple can get to grips the sooner we can evolve.

Abso-fucking-actly.

Stanley said:
Religion is a teddy bear for those people who are too frightened to face the cold hard fact that you are going to die and thats it.

Not really, no. All we are is carbon lifeforms. No more or less important than anything else living on our planet, from the smallest microbe to the blue whale. Apart from to our friends & family that is.

Stanley said:

Organised religion is the same as organised crime as far as I'm concerned.

While I'm at it, here's another story.

I'd just finished university 8 years ago and was away on a lads holiday in Greece to celebrate. It came to the Sunday and one of the lads (a Leeds lad of Irish Catholic parentage) was adamant that he had to go to Church. I asked him why and he said that God would be pissed off if he didn't.

I then asked that if he believed in a God that oversees everything, why couldn't he just pray to him where ever he wanted to? Why did it have to be in a Church? I never got a proper answer, but he was basically scared of the consequences of not doing so. He then spent 4 hours of his day getting there and back.

Fast forward 8 years, and I'm in a building in the middle of the UAE desert that has the religious significance of Canary Wharf, yet there are hundreds of Filipinos/Indians flocking there to pray everyday because some clown in cloths has put a sign outside saying "Church". It's a right load of bollocks.

Don't start me on religion, man made load of bolox!! Feel sorry for the words that were said to your mate DB. Must have been cringeworthy to say the least. I respect people who believe in what they want to believe, but for me, utter shite. I married into Orthodox religion and still think it stinks!!

The great Dave Allen always said at the end of a show ' May your God go with you' I respect people like this, who respect what individuals believe, but when religion is preached / forced upon you then fuck off.

I have to have my children baptised 'orthodox' when I have any according to the greek orthodox church, and failure to do so will incure the wrath of god against me, and great evils untowards me. If this isn't spreading religion and scaremongering, then I don't know what is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.