Is Rodri better than Yaya ?

of course...better in every aspect of the game on & off the field (besides pace)

Yep.

The Champions League obviously comes with more prestige and Rodri will forever be a City legend because of that special goal in Istanbul alone. I cried a lot that night. But the combo of Yaya's goals in the FA Cup semi-final against United, and in the final against Stoke in 2011, still put him above everyone for me, except maybe Kevin (I go back and forth). He took 34 dismal years of this club's history and put his foot through it - twice. 'Typical City' towered over us and not one player or manager who came through our doors between 1977 and 2010 knew what to do in the face of it - except Yaya. With the money behind us, and with Fergie on the brink of retiring, it probably would have happened anyway. But after three decades of City being 'the genuine soap opera club' Yaya was the man who finally changed the fucking record.

Being in Wembley that day is an occasion I'll never forget, even when my memory starts going - I still can't believe I was there for Yaya vs United and Stoke and Aguero vs QPR. After the celebrations died down and we were waiting while Stoke collected their medals, I remember looking out across 30,000 City fans at Wembley and seeing lots of grown men on the brink of tears and collapsing into their seats for a moment. They were all doing one thing: reflecting. An entire generation had come and gone between Tueart's overhead and Yaya's bullet and every single City fan in the ground that day (of a certain age) were thinking of the lads and lasses who had lived through Allison's "second coming", Swales Out, the relegations in 1996 and 1998, and 10 goals at home, but tragically hadn't made it to see the good times come again.

Yaya took it all on his shoulders that day, whether he knew it or not, and did that to 30,000 people. His two goals at Wembley that spring are still the two most powerful goals ever scored by a City player. Then he did it again up at Newcastle in 2012, and again at Wembley in 2014, then again at Wembley in 2016. Yeah, Aguero vs QPR was insane and just as special, as were all the big goals that came after from Kompany, Gundogan, Jesus, etc. But Yaya between 2011 and 2014 is still the King to me because he put us up at the very top and made sure we were going to stay there. That we were going to have good times again and that they weren't going to be a flash in the pan either. He defined the club just as much as Peter Swales but to the most opposite extreme.
They were all doing one thing: reflecting. An entire generation had come and gone between Tueart's overhead and Yaya's bullet and every single City fan in the ground that day (of a certain age) were thinking of the lads and lasses who had lived through Allison's "second coming", Swales Out, the relegations in 1996 and 1998, and 10 goals at home, but tragically hadn't made it to see the good times come again.
=============
That was me for sure.
RIP Tony. 1962-2008

Different players in different roles. I'd say Rodri is more complete and certainly more consistent, but Toure got more goals playing in a more advanced position. I have to say, Rodri is like a hybrid of the best qualities of Fernandinho and Toure. By the time he's done, we might be talking about the greatest ever player in that position.
That is a very good assessment of Rodders ref the hybrid of Ferno and Yaya.
A truly wonderful player and what a delight last night.
For those who have not yet seen the video of all his passing,breaking up play etc on our website then its worth a 12 minute watch.

After last night masterclass by Rodri it got me thinking...has Rodri now eclipsed Yaya Toure in that central midfield role ?
They were/are different players, but Rodri has been better than Yaya as a complete midfielder for at least 1.5 years.

After last night masterclass by Rodri it got me thinking...has Rodri now eclipsed Yaya Toure in that central midfield role ?
The conversation moved on from Yaya ages ago. It’s now when will he be considered better than Busquets. Rodri is that good. When he finishes in 6/7/8 years or whenever, he’ll be considered for being labelled the best DM of all time. Yaya is not in those conversations.

Good...? I'll put it this way... in 63 years of watching City, I've never seen a better or more influential player in a City shirt than 2010 to 2015 Yaya Toure. The man was a colossus, an absolute monster of a player. The King. Untouchable.
Sorry LP but if you`ve been watching City that long then you should know there is only ONE KING !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.