Is the league cup enough for you?

gmckennasell said:
league cup enough ? its another trophy we havent won for nearly 40 years , definite champs league qualification , and if we dont win the premiership , we will push whoever wins the title right to the last game , and its not that long ago our seasons ended in january (unless we were in a relegation battle)

Not the point, we are underachieving.

There is a light said:
Years are passing by so quickly.

This squad of players should be dominating English football.

It's not about being greedy, it's about fulfilling our potential.

I am sure Blues of a certain age look back on the late 60's and 70's and think the same.

This is a good point. When your owners took over and poured all the money in, I thought that would be that - no one will touch City for decades.

But one title in, what, 5 years since they took over? Or is it less. Not good enough really, I'd be livid if I was a City fan put it that way.

It does go to show though that money isn't everything which is kind of nice seeing how football has lost a lot of it's charm in recent years with the scandals, obvious corruption at FIFA, clubs like Malaga throwing money at everything then all of a sudden owing their players wages etc.

coleridge said:
What's not good enough for me, and it's only personal opinion, is the systemic under-achievement over three years.

As we know, we scraped the league in 2012, ended dismally in 2013 and just about made second, and now seem highly unlikely to finish above third. That's backwards to me.

In those three years, there has been one title and a league cup against a side soon to be relegated in the final, together with a rather modest showing in the CL [although I accept that the latter takes time to achieve in, with Chelsea as the benchmark]. Oh, and losing to the mighty Wigan in the FA Cup TWICE!!!

Not good enough.

Yet we have had the best squad and players for those three seasons, have probably scored the most goals and certainly had the most creative midfield [and player in SIlva]. The defence has been our downfall. That and the lack of mental strength.

So, whoever is responsible for all the above, it needs to be sorted this summer or heads will roll, trust me.

If we are not top by Xmas, I do not expect Pellers to be staying around much long after that. One last chance next season or there will be wholesale changes.

Even iff, by some miracle, we win the title now, which I cannot currently see happening, then matters still need addressing. However, I've always thought that Chelsea would win it and see no reason to change my view now. CTID

This is silly. You can't keep changing your manager like you change socks. What we need now is continuity. Pellegrini has some myopia, but he's created a happy team and shown a willingness to adapt and learn from mistakes. We are very close to achieving something special with this core group of players.

No team in any walk of life (sport, business, etc.) achieves any sort of success by continued visceral knee-jerk reactions.

Steak Bake said:
There is a light said:

I am sure Blues of a certain age look back on the late 60's and 70's and think the same.

This is a good point. When your owners took over and poured all the money in, I thought that would be that - no one will touch City for decades.

But one title in, what, 5 years since they took over? Or is it less. Not good enough really, I'd be livid if I was a City fan put it that way.It does go to show though that money isn't everything which is kind of nice seeing how football has lost a lot of it's charm in recent years with the scandals, obvious corruption at FIFA, clubs like Malaga throwing money at everything then all of a sudden owing their players wages etc.

Yes, but that's why you're not a City fan. We supported our club when we had no money. Like so many other united supporters, you attached yourself to united specifically because they won trophies. That they succeeeded by spending more money than everyone else didn't matter to you because winning trophies is what mattered above all else. Fair enough, good for you. Gosh we're all really impressed. In the meantime, stick around. I'm beginning to like your lack of hypocrisy.

Steak Bake said:
Pellegrini needs time. He'll come good.

You can swap him for Moyes if you want? ;-)

how is this twat still on here???

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
To be honest, I'd come at this from a different direction.
I've seen, both at the Etihad, and on telly, some of the best football I've ever seen from City in more than forty years of following them, this season. I know that there are a number who'd agree with me. So in a sense, forget trophies, the football they've played has been, yes, enough for me. It's given me huge pleasure and helped me to remember why I fell in love with this game all those decades ago.
But what I really feel is that the league cup is not enough for them, the lads, given the quality of what they've produced. I don't feel it's sufficient reward for what they've done, and I'll be sad for them if they don't do it. That's all, really. We know we're in it for the long haul, and this team will come back even stronger next year.

Definitely this! Whether we're being greedy or not, I believe the players deserve to win the premier league; and the league cup just simply won't be enough for most of them! You can see how much games mean to them now more than ever and how they're becoming a real part of the club and learning to love it. So for all their sakes and the amount of effort they've put in I believe they deserve to win more than the league cup!

Wreckless Alec said:
Steak Bake said:
There is a light said:

But one title in, what, 5 years since they took over? Or is it less. Not good enough really, I'd be livid if I was a City fan put it that way.It does go to show though that money isn't everything which is kind of nice seeing how football has lost a lot of it's charm in recent years with the scandals, obvious corruption at FIFA, clubs like Malaga throwing money at everything then all of a sudden owing their players wages etc.

Yes, but that's why you're not a City fan. We supported our club when we had no money. Like so many other united supporters, you attached yourself to united specifically because they won trophies. That they succeeeded by spending more money than everyone else didn't matter to you because winning trophies is what mattered above all else. Fair enough, good for you. Gosh we're all really impressed. In the meantime, stick around. I'm beginning to like your lack of hypocrisy.

Added to which, United's current team costs more than City's.

Wreckless Alec said:
Steak Bake said:
There is a light said:

This is where you're incorrect. You ASSUME that I support United because of "success". I actually support United because of my dad. He took me to the game when Big Ron was manager and it was all I knew.

Not every single Man Utd supporter is a glory hunter. We've got loads of them though, just like Liverpool do - because we're such a huge club globally. You need the glory hunters to grow the club. They buy the crap merchandise, spend their hard earned cash on the club - they buy the strips, the bed covers, the subscriptions to MUTV. WE NEED the glory hunters! As do you! And you will get them, espeically as you are growing as a club now.

I've noticed this place has had many more members since you won the title in 2012 - funny that!

There is a light said:
gmckennasell said:
league cup enough ? its another trophy we havent won for nearly 40 years , definite champs league qualification , and if we dont win the premiership , we will push whoever wins the title right to the last game , and its not that long ago our seasons ended in january (unless we were in a relegation battle)

Not the point, we are underachieving.

3 trophies in 4 years and champs league qualification guaranteed every season , 6 trips to wembley , soon to be 62,000 seat stadium sold out for every league game , trebled our revenue in 5 seasons , and the best pies in the premiership , steady progress , obviously not enough for the impatient and greedy amongst our bretheren , but good enough for the realists.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.