It's Quiet 32 - enter at own risk

How many more players do we need to miss out on because we are penny pinching? In some ways I agree I'd walk away on the deal but when it's players who you know are genuine top talents you won't get these players unless you cough up, because they are wanted by every top club in Europe. You run the risk of letting other top European sides strengthen even more, and therefore pushing us back in the CL. Clubs like Madrid and Barcelona are the benchmark for us and we will never win the CL if we think in this way.
From what I can gather De Jong was nailed on for City, praised Pep and then decided to sign for Barcelona who had offered him a much better financial package. He will be a world class midfielder for them for the next decade in the Xavi and Iniesta mould.
Yet, we'd be happy to spend 40+ million and wages on Mangala, 30 on Bony and 20 on Rodwell and struggle to get rid of them because they are being paid massive amounts of money.

If you don't cough up, you don't get the player who's wanted by every club in Europe, that's the point I'm making. Deals like Bernardo and Sane don't happen all the time, and especially with social media, YouTube and the likes these days it's very rare that you will get a top young player for those prices. The realisation is that if Ousmane Dembele who's not that special of a prospect costs Barca 100m+, we probably won't get a player of the same ilk for a lot less. That's modern day football and eventually whether we like it or not if we want a good young player who's touted as the next big thing we are going to have to pay the premium or else we will never get the player.
It is not penny pinching,it is spending within you means,we don't have the top revenue yet,you know this,look at our team,look at our success,give it a rest in my direction,there are plenty of other posters to say this to,or bump the txiki thread,i dare you

Last edited:
It isn't necessarily the transfer fees that have been the problem for United, it's the wages.

As I've stated previously, we don't need to break the wage structure to acquire top talent, but what I am saying is, it's better to pay a premium now for touted "special" talents like João Felix, acquiring him on cheaper wages than what he would be on if he stayed at Benfica and then tore it up again. He will then demand the wages he wants because every club will want him, quite like Mbappe when PSG bought him and De Ligt now. The more exposure the player gets in Europe, the more he can showcase his talents, the more he will cost and the more he will demand.

The market is already broken. City didn't break it, other clubs such as Barcelona, PSG, Real Madrid and Juventus have paid astronomical transfer fees for individual players, what difference does it make if City were to do it? As I have mentioned so many times, I couldn't give a flying one about the transfer fees, what I do care about is the wages because of squad harmony.
Managing squad wages and costs has kept squad harmony, and considering we only made £1 mill profit last year are you suggesting we should have made a loss. Why swap the good management of the last few years for spiralling wages for every but and every renegotiation. Thats irresponsible and not needed. It wont happen anyway, and we will carry on being successful.

It is far easier said than done, I completely agree. I do think we are in a good position at the moment, but the point I am making is, if Pep desperately wants João Felix and genuinely thinks he's going to be a superstar, just pay the money. There is always a risk with paying big money for players, but if Pep believes he will be a superstar, let's not hold back. If the kid stays at Benfica, has another absolutely immense season, then every club on the planet will be chasing him. Then the issue we have is, not only will the transfer fee increase, but the player can them demand silly wages which will price us out of the move. If I was Txiki, I'd let Pep have complete autonomy of transfers, if Pep thinks it's worth paying that bit extra to secure what could be a generational talent, then go for it. It's time to make a change to our strict transfer strategy and let's stick two fingers up at Uefa and everybody else for that matter.

The transfer fees don't bother me one bit, it's the wages. I completely understand City walking away from a deal where players are coming in earning more than the likes of De Bruyne, Aguero etc. That can't happen at all.

I just feel that, this is our time to be dining at the top table now. This is our time to forget about the B list and the C list targets like Harry Maguire and let's go for the ones that will make a difference. Players who can walk into most teams in the world and stand out.

Let's forget about budgeting and only signing two players, if Pep wants 4 or 5, let's just do it.
Tbh mate the press are writing so much shite at the minute no-one actually has a clue who is interested in who. To say Pep wants someone desperately isn’t fair is it unless you’ve turned itk? I do agree about chasing Maguire though that’s not far off Jonny Evans again but I think it’s shite and just a way for the press to say he chose Utd, his likely destination over us.

How many more players do we need to miss out on because we are penny pinching? In some ways I agree I'd walk away on the deal but when it's players who you know are genuine top talents you won't get these players unless you cough up, because they are wanted by every top club in Europe. You run the risk of letting other top European sides strengthen even more, and therefore pushing us back in the CL. Clubs like Madrid and Barcelona are the benchmark for us and we will never win the CL if we think in this way.
From what I can gather De Jong was nailed on for City, praised Pep and then decided to sign for Barcelona who had offered him a much better financial package. He will be a world class midfielder for them for the next decade in the Xavi and Iniesta mould.
Yet, we'd be happy to spend 40+ million and wages on Mangala, 30 on Bony and 20 on Rodwell and struggle to get rid of them because they are being paid massive amounts of money.

If you don't cough up, you don't get the player who's wanted by every club in Europe, that's the point I'm making. Deals like Bernardo and Sane don't happen all the time, and especially with social media, YouTube and the likes these days it's very rare that you will get a top young player for those prices. The realisation is that if Ousmane Dembele who's not that special of a prospect costs Barca 100m+, we probably won't get a player of the same ilk for a lot less. That's modern day football and eventually whether we like it or not if we want a good young player who's touted as the next big thing we are going to have to pay the premium or else we will never get the player.

Mangala, Bony and Rodwell were in the days when we could afford to chuck big money at them. Nowadays we operate in a different climate, an FFP one. Huge wages? Not going to happen.

It isn't necessarily the transfer fees that have been the problem for United, it's the wages.

As I've stated previously, we don't need to break the wage structure to acquire top talent, but what I am saying is, it's better to pay a premium now for touted "special" talents like João Felix, acquiring him on cheaper wages than what he would be on if he stayed at Benfica and then tore it up again. He will then demand the wages he wants because every club will want him, quite like Mbappe when PSG bought him and De Ligt now. The more exposure the player gets in Europe, the more he can showcase his talents, the more he will cost and the more he will demand.

The market is already broken. City didn't break it, other clubs such as Barcelona, PSG, Real Madrid and Juventus have paid astronomical transfer fees for individual players, what difference does it make if City were to do it? As I have mentioned so many times, I couldn't give a flying one about the transfer fees, what I do care about is the wages because of squad harmony.
You talk about squad harmony and then suggest spending hundred plus million on one player. Signings like that very rarely work out (Neymar, Coutinho, Dembele, Pogshit, Lukaku etc.) because there’s too much pressure on them to perform and equally when a player costs those amounts they generally expect guaranteed first team football which is an absolute no no fucking no.

Just because a player is hyped up in the press doesn’t mean they’re anything special and will add to a squad, we heard Pogshit and Lukaku were going to be the one to turn the scum into title challengers, look how that worked out.

Players have to fit into the squad, not just in terms of wages but mentality and personality. Players coming here have to be ambitious and determined to work and work fucking hard. If not they won’t be welcomed by the other players who have given us everything to get us where we are now as double and treble (+1) winners. We want the up and coming players the likes of Bernardo, Sterling, De Bruyne, Laporte who are willing to come here and fight for their place and have a real desire to win and play football in a certain way. If those players aren’t available this summer, we won’t spend a penny. If they are and then we will pay what we determine a fair valuation to be, if the selling club don’t have a similar valuation then we walk away. Players are and should be desperate to play for us, that’s why we get such value for money with the likes of the players I’ve mentioned above.

Mangala, Bony and Rodwell were in the days when we could afford to chuck big money at them. Nowadays we operate in a different climate, an FFP one. Huge wages? Not going to happen.

As I have stated previously, I wouldn't breach the wage structure unless that meant offering key players new deals as well. Keeping the harmony of the squad is the main thing.

As for those were the days, if I remember correctly we couldn't afford to sign Alexis Sanchez from Barcelona because of the high wages and due to FFP. We are in a much better financial position now than we was back in 2012, 2013.

Players like João Felix, Koulibaly, Aouar, Ziyech, Nicolas Pepe, Kai Havertz etc won't be on mega, mega wages. You are probably looking at 130k max if these types of players joined City and that's pretty reasonable considering Ashley Young is on about the same. Some of these players might cost between 70-100m for example, but that is where I don't honestly care. As I've said over and over again, the market has already been shattered, if City were to pay a big transfer fee on a particular player, it makes absolutely no difference to the market, NONE whatsoever. The way deals are structured anyway, it would be spread across months and years in installments (amortisation).

I think the biggest dilemma we will have in the next two seasons is finding a perfect replacement for Aguero. If we aren't willing to loosen the pursestrings and be more flexible regarding transfers, then we will never get a player close to his kind of quality. Jesus is good but he's never going to be good enough to replace Aguero. What if Kane is the answer for us? Will City spend the money necessary to acquire him as a replacement for Aguero? What if Mbappe is on the transfer list, will we ever fight to acquire him as a replacement for Aguero?

This is where I want to see City being ruthless, when it is needed.

As I have stated previously, I wouldn't breach the wage structure unless that meant offering key players new deals as well. Keeping the harmony of the squad is the main thing.

As for those were the days, if I remember correctly we couldn't afford to sign Alexis Sanchez from Barcelona because of the high wages and due to FFP. We are in a much better financial position now than we was back in 2012, 2013.

Players like João Felix, Koulibaly, Aouar, Ziyech, Nicolas Pepe, Kai Havertz etc won't be on mega, mega wages. You are probably looking at 130k max if these types of players joined City and that's pretty reasonable considering Ashley Young is on about the same. Some of these players might cost between 70-100m for example, but that is where I don't honestly care. As I've said over and over again, the market has already been shattered, if City were to pay a big transfer fee on a particular player, it makes absolutely no difference to the market, NONE whatsoever. The way deals are structured anyway, it would be spread across months and years in installments (amortisation).

I think the biggest dilemma we will have in the next two seasons is finding a perfect replacement for Aguero. If we aren't willing to loosen the pursestrings and be more flexible regarding transfers, then we will never get a player close to his kind of quality. Jesus is good but he's never going to be good enough to replace Aguero. What if Kane is the answer for us? Will City spend the money necessary to acquire him as a replacement for Aguero? What if Mbappe is on the transfer list, will we ever fight to acquire him as a replacement for Aguero?

Kane? lololololololololololol,you have given away youself away right there,do a txiki thread

Last edited:
Just to add to that we have a track record (albeit very recent) of developing players who are on the edge of becoming world class players actually become world class players and improving their game beyond expectations in some regards. When we signed Sterling we all know the story, look at him now. De bruyne is another (Chelsea reject bollocks) now he’s the best midfielder in world football in my opinion. Bernardo again, similar story of being good in a poor league and becoming a superstar. Ederson is now rated as one of the best goalkeepers in the world, Laporte the same at centre back.

The biggest issue in the next few years will be finding a replacement for Pep, history tells you this. He is the best chance we have of signing the top players so I say try to get them before he goes.

You talk about squad harmony and then suggest spending hundred plus million on one player. Signings like that very rarely work out (Neymar, Coutinho, Dembele, Pogshit, Lukaku etc.) because there’s too much pressure on them to perform and equally when a player costs those amounts they generally expect guaranteed first team football which is an absolute no no fucking no.

Just because a player is hyped up in the press doesn’t mean they’re anything special and will add to a squad, we heard Pogshit and Lukaku were going to be the one to turn the scum into title challengers, look how that worked out.

Players have to fit into the squad, not just in terms of wages but mentality and personality. Players coming here have to be ambitious and determined to work and work fucking hard. If not they won’t be welcomed by the other players who have given us everything to get us where we are now as double and treble (+1) winners. We want the up and coming players the likes of Bernardo, Sterling, De Bruyne, Laporte who are willing to come here and fight for their place and have a real desire to win and play football in a certain way. If those players aren’t available this summer, we won’t spend a penny. If they are and then we will pay what we determine a fair valuation to be, if the selling club don’t have a similar valuation then we walk away. Players are and should be desperate to play for us, that’s why we get such value for money with the likes of the players I’ve mentioned above.

I agree with some of your points, but the market is different than what it used to be. De Bruyne playing like he did at Wolfsburg would be worth nearly 100m in today's market if you take into account the figures Sancho is being quoted for. Would City pay that in this current market? I'm not so sure they would. Infact, I know they wouldn't.

That's the point I'm making. We might of struck lucky with the likes of Bernardo Silva at 43m and Kevin De Bruyne at 54m, but the market is not like this anymore. This is a market now where players like Lukaku are costing 80m and players like Richarlison are costing 50m.

I just hope that City are flexible enough to move with the prices of the market when needs be. If a top talent comes along, let's not obsess about sticking to a certain price, because there is no value whatsoever in the market anymore.

You mentioned the big deals don't necessarily work out...

Mbappe 150m
Ronaldo 85m
Hazard 88m plus installments
Van Dijk 75m
Alisson 60m (on a goalkeeper!)
Luis Suarez 80m

Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't, but I just hope when a generational player comes along, I hope we are willing to fight tooth and nail for the very best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.