Jacinda Ardern

Example please

You want to call females names and/or criticise when it suits but if someone else does the same, they are misogynists.

You can’t have it both ways, it does not work like that I’m afraid.

Ultimately she was just okay, she could have been transformative. Her first term was hampered by being in coalition with a dinosaur, but when she won the next election with an overwhelming majority (in an MMP format) I had high hopes.

To be fair to her, she has dealt with a lot; having a baby, a deadly volcanic eruption, a deadly terrorist attack and a global pandemic. Her decision is understandable, the amount of abuse she's been getting from the ever increasing number RW nut jobs over here relentless.

I imagine a successful career at the UN awaits, and for managing the pandemic arguably better than anyone else, she leaves with my thanks and respect.

My fear now is a Right Wing coalition victory at this years election and we see the same type of politics/politicians you are being served up with in the UK.
Hi mate, good summary I think.

It's hard to know what her 'legacy' - if any - might be. I found it particularly frustrating that, presented with an incredible (unprecedented?) mandate at the last election, there appeared to be few major advances in the areas she'd identified as a priority for her and her Government, although clearly Covid was a giant factor in that.

Peters was obviously a handbrake in the first term, but I also think her Government could have done more to notch quick, more populist wins - and communicate them well. I feel there was a tendency to dive into super-complex policy work that is hard to 'sell' in the current media landscape.

I remain particularly frustrated about mental health - it was a key promise in the 2017 campaign and there was widespread public and political support for action. But despite huge funding commitments (something Peters didn't block), there appear to have been no significant improvements in access to treatment for the vast majority of people.

We'll never know what she and her Government could have done without Covid, of course. But I suspect she would have been a three-term PM thought of as fondly as Key (in terms of mass-market popularity) on her departure.

Regardless, despite her errors - and all politicians make them - I think she's a decent person who always tried to behave with compassion and dignity. And maybe that's her legacy. And maybe that's enough given the wider, international picture.

Hi mate, good summary I think.

It's hard to know what her 'legacy' - if any - might be. I found it particularly frustrating that, presented with an incredible (unprecedented?) mandate at the last election, there appeared to be few major advances in the areas she'd identified as a priority for her and her Government, although clearly Covid was a giant factor in that.

Peters was obviously a handbrake in the first term, but I also think her Government could have done more to notch quick, more populist wins - and communicate them well. I feel there was a tendency to dive into super-complex policy work that is hard to 'sell' in the current media landscape.

I remain particularly frustrated about mental health - it was a key promise in the 2017 campaign and there was widespread public and political support for action. But despite huge funding commitments (something Peters didn't block), there appear to have been no significant improvements in access to treatment for the vast majority of people.

We'll never know what she and her Government could have done without Covid, of course. But I suspect she would have been a three-term PM thought of as fondly as Key (in terms of mass-market popularity) on her departure.

Regardless, despite her errors - and all politicians make them - I think she's a decent person who always tried to behave with compassion and dignity. And maybe that's her legacy. And maybe that's enough given the wider, international picture.

Agree with everything you stated there.

I remember being very happy with the landslide win but upon hearing her victory speech I felt a bit disappointed about what was to come.

For all the appalling campaigns against her (and from some of the mainstream) and the promotion of Luxon, she still polled as the preferred PM.

I think their handling of and then the subsequent media coverage of Three Waters and anything Mahuta is involved in hasn't helped.

I listened to Rest Is Politics podcast interview with Julia Gillard and she stated any incumbent Government dealing with an global inflation/cost of living crises is going to suffer badly in the polls as the general public assume that they are not doing enough and the opposition may be able to sort it out. I think that is where middle NZ is at the moment.

I'm disappointed Robertson has ruled himself out, as I see him as the natural successor, who Business and middle NZ respect when it comes to the economy and who would walk all over Luxon in the debates.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.