Jacob Wright

jamesha

Team supported
Manchester City
This lad does not seem to have a thread so to mark his first team debut I though I would create one using content from the City web site.

Jacob Wright is the latest member of Manchester City's Elite Development Squad to make his senior debut for Pep Guardiola’s men.
The young midfielder came off the bench in our 5-0 triumph over Huddersfield Town in the FA Cup third round.

A brace from Phil Foden, Julian Alvarez and Jeremy Doku strikes and an own goal ensured our latest defence of the competition got off to a flying start at the Etihad Stadium.

It was a memorable afternoon all round for the FA Cup holders, with the victory also seeing Kevin De Bruyne and Doku return to action following lengthy injury lay-offs, with the pair combining for City’s fifth and final goal.

And Wright was introduced soon after that final strike, coming on for Mateo Kovacic with 15 minutes to play.

The 18-year-old first registered with City’s Academy at the age of eight, and he first signed a scholarship in July 2022.

Over the course of the following campaign, he helped our Under-18s to a third consecutive Under-18 Premier League title, making 31 appearances in all competitions for Ben Wilkinson’s side.

Wright has since progressed to City’s Elite Development Squad for 2023/24, grabbing a stunning late equaliser in November to earn Brian Barry-Murphy’s side a last-gasp point in Premier League 2.

A more defensive midfielder by trade, the youngster’s positional intelligence and organisation means he excels at breaking up play, while his technical quality often acts as the attacking spark for our EDS.

Congratulations to Jacob on making his senior Manchester City debut!

He seemed cool and composed I was looking for his thread last night then had to do a few things before bedtime and ended up crashing out, mad how there wasn't a thread at all though for Jacob he's certainly flew completely under the radar, it also says a lot that Pep has chosen to hand him his debut yesterday in an FA Cup match regardless of opposition.

Some might say it's only actually against Huddersfield that we used him against and he only came on when the game was well and truly over, Pep doesn't just give chances to any defensive midfielder and not when we've got quite a fit squad to choose from too he didn't have to play, there's something that's defo caught Pep's eye in training and I don't think I've ever seen Jacob make a single mistake for the youths either while quietly going about his job.

Gotta admit I watched him quite a bit last season whenever we were on City+ and I've totally overlooked him myself, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he's the Gareth Barry type player not necessarily in style and I'm not even saying he'll defo be good enough for us either, I'm just saying that Jacob Wright might be the type that you need to watch in the flesh like Barry to fully appreciate what he does.

He seemed cool and composed I was looking for his thread last night then had to do a few things before bedtime and ended up crashing out, mad how there wasn't a thread at all though for Jacob he's certainly flew completely under the radar, it also says a lot that Pep has chosen to hand him his debut yesterday in an FA Cup match regardless of opposition.

Some might say it's only actually against Huddersfield that we used him against and he only came on when the game was well and truly over, Pep doesn't just give chances to any defensive midfielder and not when we've got quite a fit squad to choose from too he didn't have to play, there's something that's defo caught Pep's eye in training and I don't think I've ever seen Jacob make a single mistake for the youths either while quietly going about his job.

Gotta admit I watched him quite a bit last season whenever we were on City+ and I've totally overlooked him myself, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he's the Gareth Barry type player not necessarily in style and I'm not even saying he'll defo be good enough for us either, I'm just saying that Jacob Wright might be the type that you need to watch in the flesh like Barry to fully appreciate what he does.
He showed for the ball better than Phillips ever has for us.

Granted it was Huddersfield, but the lad will have a decent career, by the looks of him.

Last edited:
For me was a fly below the radar player of the year candidate last season at U18 yet it’s the headline grabbers and obvious ones that take the plaudits on here.

It’s not always the obvious ones we should look out for
I often watch the younger sides, but had to look him up, I'm sure I've seen him play numerous times, but as you say he's gone a bit under the radar.

He looked very comfortable, and I doubt he'll forget getting on in KdB's return game either, good to see that Pep trusted him with some minutes.

For me was a fly below the radar player of the year candidate last season at U18 yet it’s the headline grabbers and obvious ones that take the plaudits on here.

It’s not always the obvious ones we should look out for

He’s gone completely under the radar. There wasn’t even a thread about him.. he’s clearly highly thought of, as pep doesn’t give chances to players like that.

Maybe he could be the next one?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.