James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

Well McAtee won’t want to go back to Sheffield but might want another loan. He turned down Brighton last year which reportedly upset City.

I think we will see him in preseason, like last year.

I've not really kept an eye on him this year.
Had he done enough (in a poor Sheffield united team) to get interest from other Premier league clubs for either a loan or permanent transfer?

Each window we're linked with every man and his dog, but they never all turn up. There will also be more games and different challenges next season, and with little break over the summer more injuries.

I still think a lot will depend on how this season unfolds, the transfers done, and those who decide to leave. McAtee is just a touch younger than Doku but has collected more League minutes this season, and he has a skill set that we could do with next season. If Bernardo leaves and Foden continues in midfield, we only have Doku who can play wide right, and his inclination is to attack rather than play that pausing role. Bobb could also play there, of course, but his skills are better suited for between the lines.
But out wide is hardly where McAtee has been playing, is it? Bobb is definitely ahead of him in the pecking order now, not to mention Grealish, KDB, Foden, Doku, etc.

I'm also not convinced that if he were to play in a Grealish role he'd be ready for it. For two seasons now he's been playing in a system that doesn't have much of the ball and needs to do something with it quickly when they do. He's hardly been learning how to be patient, retain the ball etc.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong because I've always been sentimental about McAtee, but I think he is less likely to get a squad place here next season than he was a year ago. Going to Sheffield United for a second year was just a very bad decision and it looked like a bad decision at the time.

I can see him getting minutes if we get relegated for FFP (which is unlikely), but not in an other scenario.

But out wide is hardly where McAtee has been playing, is it? Bobb is definitely ahead of him in the pecking order now, not to mention Grealish, KDB, Foden, Doku, etc.

I'm also not convinced that if he were to play in a Grealish role he'd be ready for it. For two seasons now he's been playing in a system that doesn't have much of the ball and needs to do something with it quickly when they do. He's hardly been learning how to be patient, retain the ball etc.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong because I've always been sentimental about McAtee, but I think he is less likely to get a squad place here next season than he was a year ago. Going to Sheffield United for a second year was just a very bad decision and it looked like a bad decision at the time.

I can see him getting minutes if we get relegated for FFP (which is unlikely), but not in an other scenario.
He’s actually played 878 of his 1,803 minute this season on the right, either wing or midfield, and the only reason we have Bobb ahead of him right now is because he is at the club; I do think Bobb will play inside sooner because of his touch and awareness. Just like Foden and Bernardo, McAtee could learn to walk out on the right before learning to run in the middle, and because he knows the system, I think he could quickly adapt to that role.

Needed to go to Brighton or Wolves. Made a mistake not doing it.
Yet he might not have gained as many minutes at either of those clubs. He went where he was known but went up a level to test himself and will probably finish the season with over 2,000 League minutes. Irrespective of the style of football or Sheffield United's final position, he will have played home and away against most of the top teams in the League, bar us, and his mind and body will have been sharpened by the experience.

I still think we should give him a chance. He’s got everything to be a top player, he just needs to be developed properly.
I agree but it is largely dependent on what he himself wants. If an offer were to come in from the likes of Brighton or Villa I think he would join them in preference to warming our bench.

He’s been poor the last few times I’ve seen him play, but then again the whole team has. Still gets knocked off the ball far too easy, needs to work on his strength and stamina over the summer. But if Morgan Rogers can be a regular for a top 4 club then there’s no reason McAtee can’t as he was miles ahead of him at EDS level.

He’ll get his chance to impress in pre season. I got the impression before wanting to go to Sheffield and annoying some at the club he was highly thought of. Not just talent but character.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.