James Milner

Always_Blue said:
James Milner ... Continually out of position, runs around like he has not a clue what he is supposed to be doing. One good game in six.

First half - left wing

Kept wandering into the middle, when he was on the left, Cliche made the run past Milner on the outside, MIlner cut back onto his right foot lost the ball and now no defenders on the left, attack comes down our left. This continually happens with him. Left Cliche with no protection in front of him

Second Half, right wing

Again wandering all over the place, kept appearing on left or in the middle, midfield looking for someone on the right wing to pass to and no one there.
When he is on the right, he cuts back in and chips the ball aimlessly with his left foot. Left Zabba with no protection in front of him

Free Kicks - when he does take them, no pace on the ball, doesn't pick out anyone , no direction, no clue

Effort - cant take issue with his effort, but if it is not channeled in the right places then its wasted effort. Plenty of that as always with him.

He is not a winger, he should concentrate on what he is good at protecting the full backs. Like he did against United, he didn't play well then either but at least he offered some defensive cover to the full back
There has been some absolute toss posted on this forum in the 6 or so years I've been coming on here, but that takes the biscuit mate

Best City & Premier League chance creator per minute on the pitch - FACT.
Third best in Europe - FACT.
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.bsports.com/extratime/premier-league-creativity-milner-sigurdsson-fabregas#.VIGM2jGsXTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.bsports.com/extratime/premi ... IGM2jGsXTo</a>
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.bsports.com/extratime/creativity-across-europe-de-bruyne-fabregas-messi#.VIGNNTGsXTp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.bsports.com/extratime/creat ... IGNNTGsXTp</a>
(Set up both the Lampard & Aguero goals in the last two games)

And I like him because he never neglects his defensive duties.

COME ON CITY GET HIM SIGNED UP!

possibly the ultimate squad player.

I still have reservations about his quality to be a starter for a top team like us, but you cant deny his usefulness in the squad.

You can't argue with the stats on his chance creation this season, he's been brilliant and it shows how much more he has to his game than people give him credit for. Navas might be able to sprint past players, Nasri might retain the ball better and have a higher pass completion rate but Jimmy has been sensational this season. Not only does he create chances he also puts in so much hard work and carries out whatever Pellegrini's instructions are perfectly.

In Pellegrini's sides you don't really have a first 11 and a backup squad, we won't when we've bought the players in every position that we want. Mourinho has his preferred 11 and then a squad of players, there's a quite obvious list of players who will play nearly every game. For us we rotate constantly depending on the opposition. How many players out there can sit in the central midfield and try to stiffle Bayern Munich for 90mins, then play on the left of midfield to cover their full back and then also provide so many assists and goal scoring opportunities. That cross to Aguero is exactly what Navas should be doing when he plays, it's not always about beating the defender. He's much more than simply a squad player under your typical definition. Just look at how many key games he plays in and what he contributes. He isn't always consistent but he is a crucial part of what we are doing as a club.

AlloBoi said:
Has to start in Rome.
Been our best player behind Aguero

Have to disagree, I think his performance in Bayern almost guarantees he won't start in Rome. He was awful there and its showed in the teams Pellegrini has picked subsequently.

Long term it's a difficult call to make what to do with Milner and his contract. Yes he works hard and yes he can on his day be as good as anyone, but he's just far too inconsistent. I've said this before but his problem is that he's the kind of player who goes from 9/10 performances to 5/10 performances far too quickly.

Our lack of English players is obviously a problem but even then i'd be loathed to keep him around just for the sake of it. As I say i've got no idea what the answer is. Part of me thinks we're just going to let him walk on a free and replace him with a better player. I think ultimately that's what I'd do if I was running the show. At the same time I'd have no problem with City giving him a new contract because he can have his uses. As someone else said he's the ultimate utility player. However he should accept that he simply isn't good enough to be a regular starter for a club at our level.

Mister Appointment said:
AlloBoi said:
Has to start in Rome.

Have to disagree, I think his performance in Bayern almost guarantees he won't start in Rome. He was awful there and its showed in the teams Pellegrini has picked subsequently.

Long term it's a difficult call to make what to do with Milner and his contract. Yes he works hard and yes he can on his day be as good as anyone, but he's just far too inconsistent. I've said this before but his problem is that he's the kind of player who goes from 9/10 performances to 5/10 performances far too quickly.

Our lack of English players is obviously a problem but even then i'd be loathed to keep him around just for the sake of it. As I say i've got no idea what the answer is. Part of me thinks we're just going to let him walk on a free and replace him with a better player. I think ultimately that's what I'd do if I was running the show. At the same time I'd have no problem with City giving him a new contract because he can have his uses. As someone else said he's the ultimate utility player. However he should accept that he simply isn't good enough to be a regular starter for a club at our level.
On the money there Billy.....

Mister Appointment said:
AlloBoi said:
Has to start in Rome.

Agree 100%

BlueAnorak said:
Best City & Premier League chance creator per minute on the pitch - FACT.
Third best in Europe - FACT.
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.bsports.com/extratime/premier-league-creativity-milner-sigurdsson-fabregas#.VIGM2jGsXTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.bsports.com/extratime/premi ... IGM2jGsXTo</a>
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.bsports.com/extratime/creativity-across-europe-de-bruyne-fabregas-messi#.VIGNNTGsXTp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.bsports.com/extratime/creat ... IGNNTGsXTp</a>
(Set up both the Lampard & Aguero goals in the last two games)

And I like him because he never neglects his defensive duties.

COME ON CITY GET HIM SIGNED UP!
Good stats!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.