James Milner

tolmie's hairdoo said:
We're better with him, than without, but he is getting a seriously easy ride from our fans.

He should not be able to hold a gun to our heads and he has manufactured this situation for over 12 months, which is cynical. He's got form for it, too. Having jumped from club to club with Villa and Newcastle.

He's done a Micah, except he's actually worth a considerable amount of money to the club on the open market, and could end up costing us £15m.

We can't even call his bluff in January, unless he is part of a makeweight and to a club that he considers acceptable.

If he had any serious loyalty, he would sign that contract and we would both agree to a lower than normal buyout clause next summer. He won't because it will impact his options and he can make even more money as a free transfer.

I would go all in and offer him to Everton plus cash for Barkley this January.

If he was only here for the money he would have signed a deal a long time ago as no ones going to pay him what we will. He's picked game time over money which should be applauded.

Kun Aguero said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
We're better with him, than without, but he is getting a seriously easy ride from our fans.

He should not be able to hold a gun to our heads and he has manufactured this situation for over 12 months, which is cynical. He's got form for it, too. Having jumped from club to club with Villa and Newcastle.

He's done a Micah, except he's actually worth a considerable amount of money to the club on the open market, and could end up costing us £15m.

We can't even call his bluff in January, unless he is part of a makeweight and to a club that he considers acceptable.

If he had any serious loyalty, he would sign that contract and we would both agree to a lower than normal buyout clause next summer. He won't because it will impact his options and he can make even more money as a free transfer.

If he was only here for the money he would have signed a deal a long time ago as no ones going to pay him what we will. He's picked game time over money which should be applauded.
Not necessarily, if he signs for free to lets say Liverpool, he will get a very big signing on fee, because every BPL club will be after him. If he moves on transfer, he won't get nowhere near that big signing on fee. Also we have this new Barcelona style structure which would reduce his basic salary if he were to sign a new contract. Some other team can offer the same he is on now + gets a big signing on fee at the same time.

We all know he isn't going to Stoke, Hull, Newcastle etc... at some other top club, he will be in the same role he is here. Just occasional starter.

I think Milner is a great player and his versatility is such an asset. But at the same time, it's hard to see what he does that can't be replaced other than fill in when a full back is off for treatment or we're down to 10 men like the other day.

I'm not sure if that's a reason to keep a player that's clearly not happy with his game time as there are very few times he's actually utilised like that.

Surely, although I wouldn't like to see him go, it would be better to offload him and get another, younger player in that has something that we don't already have in our side. Barkley would be perfect as he's more direct that Milner is and we don't really have anyone that is like that in our system at present.

MeatHunterrr said:
sir baconface said:
MeatHunterrr said:
Spot on, there isn't a guarantee he will play often if he signs new contract, looks like he has decided to leave for a new challenge probably. At Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or even Tottenham he wouldn't get playing time as much as he wants, so sounding like a excuse to me, unless he really is going to some midtable team, which I can't see.

I doubt this. I also doubt he's looking for guranteeed playing time but won't stay if he's treated as a bit part player. Perfectly understandable imo.

Always had mixed views about his abilities but hope he stays. He's certainly earned a place in the next few big games and whenever we need a battler. Who knows what will happen if he's a regular starter?
We all know he won''t be, because even last season he put in good performance, then the next one was bad to say the least. He is too inconsistent to nail down a regular spot. When Milner is playing badly, he is playing really badly, he can't even cross the ball properly just look back at Sunderland away last season when playing badly.

If Milner would perform all the time like this, then I would agree. But I think that is unlikely.

Sunderland at home last season was his worst ever performance.....

Kun Aguero said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Things are not so black and white.

The signing-on fee a player can get for moving on a free transfer runs into millions, because there is no fee involved.

Was the same for Micah. These guys are earning fortunes, anyhow.

What's an extra £20,000 a week - which amounts to £960,000 for the year, when he can sit it out for 12 months and get a £5m signing on fee and still pick up sky high wages!!

It's a game of bluff.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

I think this is a little bit harsh, personally.

I would agree if he'd been a regular starter for the last couple of years. But looking at the amount of game time he's had during the period in which he has been stalling with the contract, I don't think I blame him for it really.

He's never really had an extended run in the side for long enough to assess his real strength. As it is he comes in to fire fight gaps in the side and I can't think of anyone much better at it. He doesn't sulk, or hide (like some) ,always gives 100% . Jimmy all day for me rather than some posing prima donna..

tolmie's hairdoo said:

Completely agree Tolm...tired of him going on about 'game time' every interview he gets..There are plenty of players in our team who would kill to get the amount of pitch time he does

He's a good player, but if he thinks he deserves a starting slot every game he's delusional

Nobody is guaranteed that...well maybe Birthday Cake Boy

nellyonthewing said:
Jimmy all day for me rather than some posing prima donna..

It's funny. Basically this is what it boils down to for a lot of people on here. He's English ergo we forgive his shitness. Whereas the opposite is true of the foreign lads. One bad game and they're shit/lazy/mercenary/don't give a fuck etc.

He tracks back you see. And the foreigners don't! :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.