Jason Kries learning the Manchester way.

Limmer

Sorry if already posted. Thought it was a decent read. Interesting what he has to say about the youngsters.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/sports/soccer/new-york-city-fc-coach-jason-kreis-learning-manchester-way.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/sport ... r-way.html</a>

BARCELONA, Spain — Jason Kreis is a coach by trade, but for now, he has enrolled in a kind of soccer boot camp in Manchester, England.

Kreis moved there with his family in January for a six-month stay while he immerses himself in all things Manchester City. City, along with the Yankees, will operate the new club Kreis will coach, New York City F.C., when it begins play in Major League Soccer next season.

The intense, square-jawed Kreis was persuaded by Manchester City last year to leave the relative security of Salt Lake City, where he had coached Real Salt Lake since 2007, for the challenge that awaits him in New York.

In an interview last week in Barcelona, where he had gone to watch Manchester City play in the Champions League, Kreis pointed out that his new job came with immense expectations — not only from City’s deep-pocketed owners and N.Y.C.F.C.’s fans, but also from Kreis’s peers and potential players.

“I think we’re still fighting for respect in the soccer world; it’s just the way it is,” Kreis said of the perception in England of M.L.S. and soccer in America. “I’d be lying if I said I’ve come over here and that I’ve been getting a fantastic reception about American soccer from everyone. They do think we’re really, really far behind. Some people think soccer in the U.S. is archaic.

“I got asked this question: ‘Do you guys train every day?’ And this was someone in the professional soccer world. To have to answer that question shows exactly where we stand.”

A former M.L.S. most valuable player, Kreis helped build a championship team at Real Salt Lake with a mix of hungry, young American players like Kyle Beckerman, Tony Beltran, Chris Wingert, Nick Rimando and Luis Gil; and modestly priced imports, mostly from South America, including Jamison Olave (now with the Red Bulls), Alvario Saborio and Joao Plata.

In Manchester, Kreis has spent most of his time watching City’s youth players. He said M.L.S. and Manchester City had an agreement that would enable him to acquire up to four players on loan from City’s under-21 academy team.

“No, I can’t take Fernandinho on loan for N.Y.C.,” he said of one of City’s Brazilian stars. “I’ve been looking at the U21 squad intently to see if there are a few who could be useful for N.Y.C., and the answer is, there are.

“In Salt Lake, we only had two academy teams, U16 and U18, and they were both down in Arizona. In Manchester, it’s all integrated down to the U9s. You can walk out and watch the U11 team play on Saturday, and it looks and plays exactly the same as the senior team. And that, to me, was the most amazing thing I’ve seen. The performance of 11-year-old kids in this club, it was off the charts.”

The decision for each Manchester City team in the club to play with the same style “comes from top down,” Kreis said. The philosophy provides continuity as players develop, he added, but also a consistent mind-set that Kreis says is missing in the United States.

“I have an opinion about why we haven’t created good attacking players or creative players that are among the best in the world,” Kreis said of soccer in America. “For me, it’s because we’re very reactive. When I watched the national team play in the past, I’ve always felt the team was playing very reactive to the opponent. We never seem to dictate the game. If you’re always reacting, it’s impossible to create young, attack-minded players because we’re always chasing the ball.”

With less than a year until N.Y.C.F.C. begins play, Kreis described himself as impatient. He called himself “a worrier” intent on waiting for this summer’s international transfer period to make some core acquisitions that he then can augment through the M.L.S. expansion draft and the next college draft.

Perhaps not surprisingly for someone now employed by one of the world’s richest clubs, Kreis was particularly adamant about the need for M.L.S. to loosen the purse strings and increase salary budgets. He complained that the current restrictions leave clubs with little depth.

“I believe the cap has got to be raised, not to allow to spend on big players, but in the middle, the players who really make a difference between winning and losing,“ he said. “The biggest improvement our teams need to make is in the depth of our rosters. We need more cap money to compete in the world market for players.”

Last week’s trip to Barcelona was Kreis’s first outside England since taking his new post. It was not, he said, a vacation.

“We won’t get around Europe until June,” Kreis said. “And I’ve only been to one E.P.L. game, other than City, and that was Liverpool-Everton. Tim Howard got me tickets, which was great. Other than that, I’ve been to a few lower league games looking at players.”

Kries comes across as a very driven highly ambitious man.

Is it inconceivable that he could be a future boss at MCFC. Imagine how that would sell us in the USA

Is MLS footy a good enough standard to develop and prepare our youngsters? Unless its dramatically improved in the last couple of seasons...... I would say not.

billfromthehill said:
I can't see it takin off over there
Sorry guys it s just my thoughts them yanks are all naz car n baseball
They just don't do soccer do they.

You shouldnt try to pass off your opinion as fact.

Soccer is growing more and more popular over here.<br /><br />-- Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:20 pm --<br /><br />
FantasyIreland said:
Is MLS footy a good enough standard to develop and prepare our youngsters? Unless its dramatically improved in the last couple of seasons...... I would say not.

I'd say its comparable to Championship level

billfromthehill said:

Well I travel to the States a couple of times a year, in the last 15 years the interest has grown rapidly. Like the rest of the world you can now see the Premier league live and City are one of the mainstays. It is almost certainly the most popular participation sport in the US. The MLS has grown in popularity but lags behind the other 3 major sports for attendances and general interest, however it's growth is substantial. Wouldn't say that NASCAR gets much of a mention.

blueyorkie said:
billfromthehill said:

Well I travel to the States a couple of times a year, in the last 15 years the interest has grown rapidly. Like the rest of the world you can now see the Premier league live and City are one of the mainstays. It is almost certainly the most popular participation sport in the US. The MLS has grown in popularity but lags behind the other 3 major sports for attendances and general interest, however it's growth is substantial. Wouldn't say that NASCAR gets much of a mention.
It's never going to be bigger than some of the other sports, but there is certainly a place for it.
Gets bigger crowds than hockey and basketball.
BPL games get bigger telly ratings than the hocket as well.
MLS standard in my opinion is probably on par with the bottom half of the championship.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1740529/mls-catches-mlb-popularity-kids-says-espn-poll?cc=5901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/17405 ... ll?cc=5901</a> will never catch the NFL, but, it is growing in popularity. It is also getting better. The salary cap and pay structure will keep it from exploding as the millionaires can't show off their toys, but, hopefully we will continue to get good players over here.

Hollywood Blue said:
blueyorkie said:
billfromthehill said:

It's never going to be bigger than some of the other sports, but there is certainly a place for it.
MLS standard in my opinion is probably on par with the bottom half of the championship.
What in all that is holy is the BPL?

SWP's back said:
Hollywood Blue said:
blueyorkie said:
What in all that is holy is the BPL?

Barclays Premier League which we are about to win

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.