Jihadi John Song

Just wrong on so many levels. You always get a minority of morons at any football club, I just hope if this is sang again, it is shouted down.
The biggest problem being that the sequence of events in the song are factually incorrect because Jihadi John was killed before the Paris Attacks.

I agree about the inclusion of names, but the overall 'message' is a put down of a terrorist, a shit song to be sure, sung by pissheads,
but that's all it is. My 12 year old daughter was sat on the bin outside McDonald's where a bomb had been planted by the IRA, 15 minutes before it exploded,
killing two children; we still told jokes about the IRA, we still vociferously denounced them, we did not cravenly demand that any criticism of this
vile terrorist group be stifled, in case they took reprisals.
Plus, I don't see what politics has to do with this.
But we didn't do this at Maine Road iirc and that's the point many are trying to make. It's not football related so it shouldn't be brought into football.

If people choose to tell jokes about the IRA and denounce them, I'm sure they're free to do so elsewhere. I'm sure ISIS believe they have right on their side as will those they are fighting against. How would you feel if someone unfurled a banner in support of them? Uncomfortable? Furious?

I'd feel the same way too, but I'd also feel the same way if someone unfurled a banner denouncing ISIS and supporting Assad. Neither has any place in football and we should fight to keep it that way.

A lot of football chants from all clubs have been over the years tasteless or crass, you just have to look at hartlepool, but the main thing with this is that it is just a shite pointless song. It doesn't back the club or a player, it has no relevance to us, it references a recent tragic event fresh in peoples minds and tries to lampoon Daesh but just comes across crapply, I could also point out there will be season ticket holders directly affected by acts of violence by Daesh and were in or know people who were in paris and maybe don't want to hear the subject sang about whether in jest or not.

I get people saying "well I bet you sang Uwe's Grandad" of course if you break it down that song is crass 33 people died in the trafford industrial estate bombings, but that song 1. refernces the stretford end not the manchester blitz as a whole, 2. Would more than likely be treated the same as this song if it happened 2 months ago. 3. Actually is poking fun at our local rivals losing thier ground. So slightly different than this new song.

As for Munich songs I can admit I have uttered them when I was around 18-19 pissed and less sensible than now at away games in a group. I wouldn't now and a lot have probably done the same, and this is the thing, football can be a mob culture, a shit song ripped off from a shite west ham song with bits added started by a small group think it's a laugh, can easily be just picked up and sang by more people, especially at an away game.

The song though despite the content is shite just as a song and will probably dissapear as soon as it starts, doubt it will catch on at home.

Last edited:
One of the mst disgusting human beings to grace our planet gets mocked about his death in a song, so what.
I've head the hitler songs, and the songs sung at spurs fans, the endless Munich songs and this is of similar ilk.
I've heard the anti ira songs sung with vigour on mass by England fans, again it's of a similar nature, it's no great drama blues but it is no more or less than we have heard at football grounds for many year.
That's as maybe, but it still doesn't make it right in my book. In your list you also missed bananas being thrown at black players, but I suppose 'it's no great drama' either? Where do you draw the line?

None of it had/has/should have any place in football.

But we didn't do this at Maine Road iirc and that's the point many are trying to make. It's not football related so it shouldn't be brought into football.

If people choose to tell jokes about the IRA and denounce them, I'm sure they're free to do so elsewhere. I'm sure ISIS believe they have right on their side as will those they are fighting against. How would you feel if someone unfurled a banner in support of them? Uncomfortable? Furious?

I'd feel the same way too, but I'd also feel the same way if someone unfurled a banner denouncing ISIS and supporting Assad. Neither has any place in football and we should fight to keep it that way.

Have to disagree a little with this in the late 80's early 90's on the kippax their were groups of fans who aligned their city aleigence with rangers and were singing no surrender (which was being sang the other week in the south stand concourse also) and bobby sands songs, and if challenged threatened other fans, they were normally shouted down, but it used to happen.

It will end up like this.

It will be sung at away games and on the concourse at home games by the youth.(before and after a few Beers)
But just like 'Who's that dieing on the runway", "Dig up Matt Busby", etc, it will eventually die(no pun intended) out.

That aside. I'm a liberal and I firmly believe People should be allowed to say and do what they want as long as it isn't breaking the law.
We live in a democracy where freedom of speech is permitted.

But in a Pc and commonsense World, it doesn"t do our fans and the club any favours.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it on here already so apologies in advance, but the clubs official Snapchat feed posted a clip of "the fans in fine voice" singing that jihadi song.

Thought it was quite sour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.