Jimmy Carr

He has often made jokes when appearance isn't a personal choice such as when he's poked fun at the disabled and Becky Adlington.

It is cheap humour and for the immature.

Not sure what life choices you are referring to but if it's regarding weight then I also think fat shaming is a cheap form of humour. I'm not overweight but I find fat shaming horrid and cheap.

I'm not a miserable fart either but mocking one's appearance is just easy comedy. Yes comedy is subjective and we all have different tastes. What is funny to some people isn't to others.

I'm just highlighting the hypocrisy of Boyle where he is portrayed by the BBC as a guardian angel of the left when in reality he is a nasty c*nt.
I didn’t make any judgment when I asked the question.

I asked about “personal choice,” because it’s normally an exclusion for “protected class,” which relates to something over which you have no control (like race or gender).

I was merely asking (not just you) if it is OK to joke about things OUTSIDE the legally “protected classes.”

That is a good take, but I don't think it insinuates what you think it does.

Not that I really want to get into dissecting an article on a reaction to a joke.

It insinuates a few things, and doesn't commit to much either. Doesn't really either attempt tondefend or condemn it or the reaction to it.

Which to me is kinda the point.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the one! Watched it on my IPTV last night. I mean, he also takes the piss out of the Terrence Higgins Aids Trust and wanking on backs in the same routine.

I thought the likes of Brown were vulgar, but do remember laughing as a kid to Jim Davidson and him doing his 'Chalkie' impression of a black man. As a kid from Moss Side, I never thought anything of it at the time, and why it would be so offensive to the kids I grew up with?

I still love In Sickness and in Health, Rising Damp, Fawlty Towers, Fools and Horses, all with racist jokes in them, all comedies which still make me laugh.

As you become older, you become educated, but that doesn't mean that some stuff I found funny back then, I also don't find funny now.

I try to apply context, although hearing the Major use the N and P words in the very first episode of Fawlty Towers is where the line deviates away from intended comedy and reflects a time when society wasn't so culturally mixed and informed?

If we cancel everybody, in the end the ability to respect a different perspective or debate a position, will be a thing of the past?

Anyhow, in 20 years Tommy Cooper will still be brilliantly funny and Freddie Starr will still be shit.
The audience with when Freddie Starr got Mr Motivator riding the bike whilst singing Vincent was comedy gold in my opinion, one of the very few things I laughed at from FS but that was genius. Best ever I saw on stage was Doddy, never ever will be replaced, absolutely fantastic and for the most part clean!

My interpretation of Carr’s joke was that it was holding a mirror up to racism, rather than being a racist joke. Racism towards Travellers and Roma Gypsies is very often overlooked or even just accepted as fair game, as if they don’t count. That’s what the joke was targeting, I think: how we can rightfully be repulsed by the antisemitic racism of the Holocaust without giving much attention to the other ethnic groups that suffered. That Roma and Irish Travellers are still seen as vermin, basically.

I recall a few years ago a colleague was criticising Corbyn for his alleged antisemitism. In the next conversation, when the topic had changed, she moaned about ‘pikeys’. She was generally a tosser anyway, but I don’t think she’s alone in that hypocrisy.

Seeing government ministers jump on this Jimmy Carr bandwagon is as repugnant as it is unsurprising. I have some Roma heritage which, although very diluted, is perhaps enough for me to be a bit more sensitive and sympathetic about this issue; if I identified as Roma, I imagine I’d be far more offended by this government’s policies towards Roma and Travellers than by a comedian’s joke about racism.

I do like to believe that the majority of people are still laughing inside, but, as you say, are probably too fearful to admit or show it?

The last couple of generations have spent the majority of it separating groups in to little boxes, when the truth about the human race is a little less palatable.

The pandemic should have proved beyond doubt, we all go up shit creek without a paddle when the brown stuff hits the fan.

We all bleed the same, we all love to laugh, we all grieve.

There was life before the internet and mobile phones, yet I fear the coping mechanisms of the human race are being eradicated with each passing year, in tandem with an ability not to take life too seriously.

completely agree. We now live in a world where everyone is offended of everything. It’s pathetic

My interpretation of Carr’s joke was that it was holding a mirror up to racism, rather than being a racist joke. Racism towards Travellers and Roma Gypsies is very often overlooked or even just accepted as fair game, as if they don’t count. That’s what the joke was targeting, I think: how we can rightfully be repulsed by the antisemitic racism of the Holocaust without giving much attention to the other ethnic groups that suffered. That Roma and Irish Travellers are still seen as vermin, basically.
Finally!!!

I do like to believe that the majority of people are still laughing inside, but, as you say, are probably too fearful to admit or show it?

The last couple of generations have spent the majority of it separating groups in to little boxes, when the truth about the human race is a little less palatable.

The pandemic should have proved beyond doubt, we all go up shit creek without a paddle when the brown stuff hits the fan.

We all bleed the same, we all love to laugh, we all grieve.

There was life before the internet and mobile phones, yet I fear the coping mechanisms of the human race are being eradicated with each passing year, in tandem with an ability not to take life too seriously.
I was bought tickets to see Jimmy Carr a couple of years ago, he said all the things that make you feel embarrassed to laugh at but he was hilarious !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.