Jobs as kids

Tuearts right boot

Halfway up a mountain,bumfuck nowhere,Snowdonia.
Years ago kids had jobs but you dont see kids doing ' work ' these days. Stuck all day with their heads in phones with little or no social interaction.
I had the usual paper round and did the odd sunday round, usually all The Times with news, travel, business and sport plus the colour suppliments which challenged the Yellow pages for size, you knew you'd done a round after that. Washed cars for British Leyland dealership on the main rd in Sale and the creme de la creme was working in a pet shop cleaning gravel for fish tanks. There was a pile, probably 2 tons in weight and because of it's texture all the local cats would shit in it, my job was to rinse the cat shit out. That would be illegal nowadays with H&S and the snowflake brigade.

Worked every Sunday for a tea company. Knocking the brass trim off the old tea chests for 50p per day.
Paper round. When I first moved to Canada I sold ice cream in the summer from one of those bicycles.
Never made a penny as I gave most of it away to the pretty girls.

1671813316978.jpeg

When I was a kid I had a job working for the BBC, funny enough I even met Jimmy Savile a few times.

I never saw any funny business.

All I had to do was stroke his pet snake while he was working, to keep it entertained.

I did think it was a bit weird that I had to wear a blindfold, but I figured it was just part of his quirky character.

2 paper rounds, one am one pm, whatever the weather. Didn't seem to faze us back then.
The Sunday morning round was a nightmare, I could barely pick the bag up it was that heavy with all the supplements. Always tried to keep the papers dry, and folded them neatly. Got good tips at Xmas if you did that.
Had many a puncture and had to push the bike the rest of the way round.
Washed neighbours cars at weekends. Again, if you did a good job word soon got round and everyone wanted their car washing. Bought a petrol lawnmower, fixed it and mowed grass in the summer.
Worked on farms after school bailing hay and shovelling shit.
Kids these days etc etc.
I was quite the entrepreneur when I was a kid, it's only in later times when I became a lazy bastard

When I was a kid I had a job working for the BBC, funny enough I even met Jimmy Savile a few times.

All I had to do was stroke his pet snake while he was working, to keep it entertained.

I did think it was a bit weird that I had to wear a blindfold, but I figured it was just part of his quirky character.

Are you James Corden? ;)

Saturday morning at a leather processing factory as young teens. They lifted us into the high overhead ducting's to trawl their inner spaces, cleaning them out with a scraper. One of my counterparts fell through the roof onto spray machinery and so they stopped it.

We received £1.50 a morning enabling me to buy my first music album from the Black Sedan in the Dale called Gong: Camembert Electrique.

From 78 to 80 i worked in a butchers 4 days a week after school and Saturday afternoon. Mopping cleaning and scrubbing the block mainly (which was hard work) for £8 a week.

I was a butchers boy in the 80s. Proper place with saw dust on the floor not like you see these days. Cleaning up like you, washing windows and drying them with newspaper every Saturday no matter what the weather, but they did teach me some of the trade, and I’d serve customers - I think the gaffer thought I’d stay on after I left school. Would prep the turkeys for the butchers to dress (pluck them) and make over a £100 a week this time of year. It’s actually not bad life skills to have. I loved the work.

Now then,now then,now then !!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.