John Carew sent to jail

Seems a bit harsh to be sent to prison for a year for what the courts deemed to be 'unintentional'. A hefty fine would have been sufficient I think.

Yes but isn't Scandi prison a bit like Butlins?
An-inmate-sunbathes-on-th-010.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/25/norwegian-prison-inmates-treated-like-people

Seems a bit harsh to be sent to prison for a year for what the courts deemed to be 'unintentional'. A hefty fine would have been sufficient I think.
Prisons are probably sparsely populated in Norway.

Grossly negligent was the phrase I saw. I suspect if it wasn't treated seriously, then saying "sorry, I didn't realise" would empty a lot of prisons. I'm not convinced prison is the best place for non-violent offenders, but he probably evaded a hell of a lot of tax.

I guess if you earn over £20m, knowing where you live, is probably considered about the least the tax office can expect of you.

Grossly negligent was the phrase I saw. I suspect if it wasn't treated seriously, then saying "sorry, I didn't realise" would empty a lot of prisons. I'm not convinced prison is the best place for non-violent offenders, but he probably evaded a hell of a lot of tax.

I guess if you earn over £20m, knowing where you live, is probably considered about the least the tax office can expect of you.

Yeah, and I appreciate everyone is responsible for being on top of their own taxes, but yeah I read in the article that the courts did not find any evidence that this was deliberate, therefore only grossly negligent which is still very bad but a 14 month prison sentence seems a bit OTT, even if Norwegian prisons are more like holiday resorts compared to UK prisons :)

In 2017 Messi was sentanced to 21 months in jail by a Spanish court for tax evasion but that was changed to a fine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.