John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been a big critic of his defensive frailties it was nice to see him pre-season notching a few goals. That and the better defensive framework ,better fullbacks ,coaching by Pep etc seems to have given him a huge boost so I have to say he's shaping up very well this Season and is beginning to grow into the prospect we'd hoped for.

I dont think it will be long before that happens mate. He won't take any shit either as captain.

It shut the Stones doubters up for the time being anyway.

I hope you are right pal. John Stones is 23, in my opinion a centre half hits his peak around the same time as a striker, say 27. John Stones for me can only get better and I would love to see him one day captain City.

Having been a big critic of his defensive frailties it was nice to see him pre-season notching a few goals. That and the better defensive framework ,better fullbacks ,coaching by Pep etc seems to have given him a huge boost so I have to say he's shaping up very well this Season and is beginning to grow into the prospect we'd hoped for.

His menality has been very different this season & it's as if he has recognised that his job description says 'defender'.

It's early & he isn't mistake free (nobody ever is) but he's showing a lot of character, especially considering what has been going on next to him, & taking responsibility for solving problems, rather than leaving it for others.

His menality has been very different this season & it's as if he has recognised that his job description says 'defender'.

It's early & he isn't mistake free (nobody ever is) but he's showing a lot of character, especially considering what has been going on next to him, & taking responsibility for solving problems, rather than leaving it for others.
I think things have clicked for him in certain respects. I feel last year, he was very much trying to impress the manager by following the directive to play out from the back to the letter, and this season he's much better at situational decisions as to when to play out from the back and when to simply clear the ball. I'm really happy for him because he looks far more comfortable.

I admit I'm wondering if lining up in a back three is helping him, too, and if his confidence will translate to a more traditional back four.

I think things have clicked for him in certain respects. I feel last year, he was very much trying to impress the manager by following the directive to play out from the back to the letter, and this season he's much better at situational decisions as to when to play out from the back and when to simply clear the ball. I'm really happy for him because he looks far more comfortable.

I admit I'm wondering if lining up in a back three is helping him, too, and if his confidence will translate to a more traditional back four.

Don't think it's anything to do with impressing Pep - it's just learning.

Consider the amount of instructions he's taken in, such a ridiculous amount that Xabi Alonso likened it to getting an MBA in football, and last season he just looked like someone uncertain of what exactly he was supposed to do in some circumstances. That lead to uncertainty and confidence issues - How can you be assertive in the tackle when you're not actually sure if you're supposed to be making the tackle or dropping off show someone wide until help arrives?

He looks to me like someone who's now confident that he's doing what Guardiola wants him to do - and that's translating into him bossing around the other defenders which we're seeing now, telling Fernandinho or Silva where to pass to when they receive the ball under some pressure, and making quicker decisions when defending.

Growing up.

Dino went to give him the armband tonight, wont be long..
Noticed that. Once the old guys are gone, I think it will be him and Debryune next. Are a m he how Debryune was the oldest serving player left when Dihno exited. That shocked me. It felt like we just signed Debryune yesterday.... I remember Allof like it was last night. :(

Time flies...

Even though he deferred the armband to De Bruyne, fully expect him to be our captain post-Kompany.

Pep was right. He has more balls than anyone. Got slaughtered by the press and some of his own "fans" all last year. This season he's stepped up and is playing so well. Really stepping up in Kompany's absence.

I thought he was really good again - 3 great games this week, starting to see some consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.