Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's all the fuss about?

Granted not a 'Stellar signing' but he is an experienced player in the Premier League and Champions League. A proper professional who is ideally seen as a squad player probably as back up and/or when changing formation to 3 at the back. A family member played alongside him for N.Ireland and is a friend of his and has always spoken that he is a quality defender, solid, dependable, reads the game well, positional aware and what he lacks in pace, he makes up for in intelligence.

The money .... is crazy nowadays. £20m now is what £5m would have been a couple of years ago.

So what if he played for the Scum? I don't remember the masses going ape shit when Tevez came straight from United when we were, at the time, in the early days of just trying to finish close to 4th. Or when Peter Schmeichel joined us , he wasn't hated as he did a job for us with his quality. Does somehow quality of the player dictate how much we such hate him just because he played for a rival years ago, talented player = 'don't make a fuss' .... so called average player = 'give him shit and hate him'?

I do however advocate i'd rather use an academy player, but if Guardiola or the club feel there isn't anyone better than Evans in the academy and we need to fill the homegrown quota and have some proven defensive experience, It makes sense.

And rather get a defender than has the experience of the english game rather than the recent expensive cock ups of centre backs from the continent.

But if folks are just having a gripe over the United connection ...

No disrespect Gav

But you need to stick to kit design;)

All about opinions mate just I don't see how this is a good signing and nothing to do with who he played for just not good enough

Whilst I'm not against this signing, I do think paying £30m is fucking madness. Höwedes is valued at €30m and he can play LB too.

Hang on, pretty sure Roma have a left sided centre back who can play left back, who has premier league experience, can pass from the back and is a leader!

I'd throw your CV in

You are sarcastically throwing away a lot of perfectly good, intelligent & what is more CORRECT posts.

Whether Evans is decent or not, if he arrives, we are doing it again with the cb position.

'Making do' whilst others attempt to go up a level. Sanchez is not imo quite ready to be a first choice PL cb, but if he does become ready, soon, he will triple in price. As will Van Dijk (doesn't want to sign for us ? Seriously ? He'd be here in a heartbeat)

Mark this: we will end up in a not too distant transfer window, with a long thread about whether we should pay the extra 20 mil, to get 'x' to release 'y' as we 'must' have 'y'.

Whoever 'y' may turn out to be, we will be missing him now, at half the price, whilst we pick up yet another average player for the cb position.

You are sarcastically throwing away a lot of perfectly good, intelligent & what is more CORRECT posts.

Whether Evans is decent or not, if he arrives, we are doing it again with the cb position.

'Making do' whilst others attempt to go up a level. Sanchez is not imo quite ready to be a first choice PL cb, but if he does become ready, soon, he will triple in price. As will Van Dijk (doesn't want to sign for us ? Seriously ? He'd be here in a heartbeat)

Mark this: we will end up in a not too distant transfer window, with a long thread about whether we should pay the extra 20 mil, to get 'x' to release 'y' as we 'must' have 'y'.

Whoever 'y' may turn out to be, we will be missing him now, at half the price, whilst we pick up yet another average player for the cb position.

How are posters who believe they can foresee the future actually correct?. If you read my comments on this particular thread, you will see that is where my sarcasm lies.

Posters are stating that he is not good enough predicated on what he has or has not done elsewhere, but predominantly based on his Rag background and price (which no one has a scooby about tbh).

Q - If he were avail on a free, would posters be more welcoming of him?

Me, I dont particular rate or want him, but as I said in my earlier post, I and the rest of BM posters know jack compared to those running our club.

How are posters who believe they can foresee the future actually correct?. If you read my comments on this particular thread, you will see that is where my sarcasm lies.

Posters are stating that he is not good enough predicated on what he has or has not done elsewhere, but predominantly based on his Rag background and price (which no one has a scooby about tbh).

Me, I dont particular rate or want him, but as I said in my earlier post, I and the rest of BM posters know jack compared to those running our club.

It doesn't actually matter.

If we signed Jermaine DeFoe rather than Mbappe, it doesn't mean DeFoe won't do ok, just that we clearly have Harry Redknapp doing our scouting.

Same with Evans.

I think you're spot on with this, although it's worth adding that Evans will only be a fourth choice. As you say though - the prospect of spending £30m on a backup is madness. If you're going to sanction that level of money you'd be best paying the extra and signing someone who's the best around - who'd actually challenge for a first team spot.

How are posters who believe they can foresee the fut actually correct?. If you read my comments on this particular thread, you will see that is where my sarcasm lies.

pretty clear his price will be over 20 million which is a pisstake

This huge scouting network the club has and the person they find is jonny evans hahahaha

I think that Evans is a bit like Gaz Baz in that is seems to very under rated by opposition fans. It is only when he plays for you that you appreciate how good he actually is. Baggies and Rag fans speak highly of him. Taggart, Wenger and Pep all had him or wanted him.

In regards to the price, even if we pay 30 million for him, it is still less than the fee's for Stones, Otamendi, Mangala, Rojo and Lindelof. Yet he is better and more dependable than the lot of them.

He is a solid if unspectacular defender. If Vincent gets injured I would rather a player like Evans than the headless chicken or Bambi on ice we currently have, replace him.

Evans is a steady Eddie. That's exactly what we needed last year while Vincent was out.

I think that Evans is a bit like Gaz Baz in that is seems to very under rated by opposition fans. It is only when he plays for you that you appreciate how good he actually is. Baggies and Rag fans speak highly of him. Taggart, Wenger and Pep all had him or wanted him.

In regards to the price, even if we pay 30 million for him, it is still less than the fee's for Stones, Otamendi, Mangala, Rojo and Lindelof. Yet he is better and more dependable than the lot of them.

He is a solid if unspectacular defender. If Vincent gets injured I would rather a player like Evans than the headless chicken or Bambi on ice we currently have, replace him.

Evans is a steady Eddie. That's exactly what we needed last year while Vincent was out.

All perfectly true, especially about GB who was one of the best, apart from the fact we wouldn't want Barry in this team either, nor Lescott, who was twice as good as Jonny Evans.

So basically we are taking a player on loan for 30 mill plus wages for one season until we can get in who we want. Pretty similar to Arsenal with Sanchez ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.