Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mangala for me. Both on the same level but one not a rag :-)

Joking aside don't care what his allegiances are, he's just bang average and not the sort of player we need to be signing. If he was on a free I'd still say no.

This is such an awful move. He was a massive flop in Van Gaal's system that expects the same from the CBs as Pep. Cannot stand us buying anymore mediocre players when plenty of quality young talent is out there for 10-15m more.

Splash the cash on a quality young defender -> Lucas H, Gimenez, Tah

If he does sign for City I will back Evans but I have my doubts he will be fully motivated to play for the club (even if he is brought in as cover). For all Mangala's faults he still wants to do his best for City.

I'm not thrilled about this either. But he does come across as a model professional. He will give the effort...and that's about it.

I'm just gonna repost what I wrote about him back in August:

Watched the the full matches of a couple of WBA games (vs Liverpool and Chelsea) -focusing on Evans- over the last couple of days whilst listening to my usual podcasts.
Some thoughts

PROS
1.) Organiser:
Constantly orchestrates WBA's backline, and this is something we don't have when Vinny isn't there. I'm not even sure Stones and Nico talk to eachother. Evans is very vocal.

2.) Positioning:
His positioning and sensing of danger is quite impressive tbh. Always looking around and behind him to make sure he doesn't lose sight of the forwards. Steps out when needed, covers well.

3.) Composure:
He's decent enough on the ball and looks for the pass rather than hoofing it but it's his composure in possession which stands out more. He's not like Mangala who looks like he's scared shitless when the ball comes to him.

(non playing)
4.) Homegrown

CONS
1.) Mobility:
Not hugely slow but he's not fast and he is quite wooden/lacking in agility, he's not someone you're confident can make up the ground once turned.

2.) Silly fouls:
Habit of giving fouls away by clattering into the back of an opponent. TBF this was only evident against Liverpool

(non playing)
3.) 30 in January
4.) Reported price is too high

-----

Having studied him in these 2 games I've changed my mind somewhat. He looks a better player than he was at Utd, where he could be quite rash, he's matured as a player since then and is pretty steady. How he takes to a higher line and playing on the left of a back 3 at times - where he'd have to defend wide areas - I'm not sure but, on this evidence, he's a better player than I thought he was. His age means I wouldn't be going above £20m but I think I'd be fine with him being 4th CB.

Couldn't care less about him playing for Utd. It's hardly Crerand
So basically what we know hes dogdooh

I dont know why people keep saying he will be 4th choice
For me Vinny is out long term and Stones has come back too early (as did Delph as did Vinny last time) he needs time on the bench
Evansinho will be straight in with Otta for quite a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.