Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not particularly enamoured with this move, assuming it goes ahead, but as a fourth choice centre-half it’s a fairly pragmatic, if uninspiring, signing. I’m sure much of the opposition to it stems from who he used to play for.

I always hoped that Mangala would eventually come good, but I think that boat sailed a while ago. If Evans can ease the burden on Otamendi and Stones (and Kompany, to a lesser extent) then we should give him a chance, and judge him solely on how he performs for us.

That's a very sound and rational take on it, and I agree. But being a pretty emotional guy, I'm currently more like:

giphy.gif

I'll give him every chance if he signs.

I just don't understand why I'm required to rather than us signing one of the other 50 cbs better than him. I assume it will also mean Kompany is being retired in the summer, otherwise we are not signing another top cb then either.
I hope Kompany will be.

We can’t rely on him in the slightest sadly.

I'll give him every chance if he signs.

I just don't understand why I'm required to rather than us signing one of the other 50 cbs better than him. I assume it will also mean Kompany is being retired in the summer, otherwise we are not signing another top cb then either.
Given the WC and the fact Kompany will be trying to get 2 games a week out of his body for Belgium I think its fair to say at very very best his involvement next season is questionable.... The only advantage I see in signing Evans is the fact that Pep will get the whole summer to work with him and won't be waiting until the week before the season to get him back.

I’m not particularly enamoured with this move, assuming it goes ahead, but as a fourth choice centre-half it’s a fairly pragmatic, if uninspiring, signing. I’m sure much of the opposition to it stems from who he used to play for.

I always hoped that Mangala would eventually come good, but I think that boat sailed a while ago. If Evans can ease the burden on Otamendi and Stones (and Kompany, to a lesser extent) then we should give him a chance, and judge him solely on how he performs for us.

Agree Ric. Personally not excited at the prospect of him signing at all. Still hope we don’t. But he knows the premier league and nobody will convince me he isn’t a better option than Mangala. And with Stones out of form he may get a chance even sooner unless Vinny manages to get himself fit.

I just don't understand why I'm required to rather than us signing one of the other 50 cbs better than him.

I guess the appeal with Evans is that he is available now, is familiar with the league so can hit the ground running, is left footed, comfortable in possession, and is happy to play a back up role. As you rightly point out, there are plenty of centre halves better than him but not sure many fit all those criteria.

Would you be saying the same if we got Bury`s C/B

I`ve seen enough of him to form my own opinion over the years. This would be IMO a massively backward step. What with Vincents injuries, Evans, accord to some on here would get in before Mangala. Leaving us to pray to God Stones and Otamendi dont get injured,

The Mangala boat never actually set sail Ric. Sunk before it left the dockside.

Agree Ric. Personally not excited at the prospect of him signing at all. Still hope we don’t. But he knows the premier league and nobody will convince me he isn’t a better option than Mangala. And with Stones out of form he may get a chance even sooner unless Vinny manages to get himself fit.

When we bought Mangala the powers that be must have thought the were getting a very good C/B. Surely we are going backward yet again, another Sinclair type signing but with less talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.