Just a Thought

Lordeffingham

I appreciate Yaya Toure is undoubtedly a very important player in our team and there is very little doubt his absence during the ACN could massively effect our chances of sustaining our generally good form, but something has recently crossed my mind.

For some time now, although far more frequently in recent weeks, Vincent Kompany has shown a real flair for pushing further and further forward, and clearly has great ambition to show just how good he can be raiding forwards with the same sort of pace, power and strength we are usually accustomed to from Micah Richards.

Now I appreciate he is the best Centre back, probably in world footbal, or certainly very close to it, but when we signed him originally, it was to play as a defensive midfielder, just as Yaya did for much of his time at Barcelona. Yaya also played in the centre back role for Barca, so surely, with Kolo, Savic and others easily able to cover the Centre half possition, would it not be at least worth giving Kompany a chance at the role Yaya plays, even if it's just for a few weeks, and who knows, we might just see how good he could become in a slightly more advaced possition?

Only one problem with your theory. Kolo is away too and I don't think Savic is ready yet.

Lordeffingham said:
I appreciate Yaya Toure is undoubtedly a very important player in our team and there is very little doubt his absence during the ACN could massively effect our chances of sustaining our generally good form, but something has recently crossed my mind.

For some time now, although far more frequently in recent weeks, Vincent Kompany has shown a real flair for pushing further and further forward, and clearly has great ambition to show just how good he can be raiding forwards with the same sort of pace, power and strength we are usually accustomed to from Micah Richards.

Now I appreciate he is the best Centre back, probably in world footbal, or certainly very close to it, but when we signed him originally, it was to play as a defensive midfielder, just as Yaya did for much of his time at Barcelona. Yaya also played in the centre back role for Barca, so surely, with Kolo, Savic and others easily able to cover the Centre half possition, would it not be at least worth giving Kompany a chance at the role Yaya plays, even if it's just for a few weeks, and who knows, we might just see how good he could become in a slightly more advaced possition?
What you saw of Kompany today is what City lacks at the other CD position. ANd it is part of why playing park the bus works against us. Both of our CD's have to be comfortable bringing the ball out and attacking the gulf of space teams purposely leave so they can sink in and defend. This is where Vertonghen can help us change the landscape against these tactic. It is hard to pack the bus against Arsenal when Kos and Verm are the starting CD's. Coz both would charge down the space with gusto if the opposition retreats. Sadly Lescott often waits for a midfielder to checkback and collect it or he passes back to Komps or the Leftback. Thus either costing us speeed up time or a #'s advantage.

Funny it is one of those hard qualities most wouldn't see until it is not there anymore. I complained about a similar effect with De Jong last year, and most see it now. Lescott is my next complaint. Good defender at defending, but kills a lot of our sets offensively from the back.

Milner for me as well. Don't really understand why he's been dropped or rested so much - was outstanding in November and hardly played since - makes no sense.

Freestyler said:
Milner for me mate, his best position.

He's played there twice when asked and delivered 2 outstanding performances.

More than twice.

He also had his worst game of the season there against West Brom.

I really rate Milner but it is definitely a pity that we can't see Kompany there as I believe he would excel. Like others have said though, the defence would then be missing a vital cog.

DTeacher said:
Freestyler said:

More than twice.

I really rate Milner but it is definitely a pity that we can't see Kompany there as I believe he would excel. Like others have said though, the defence would then be missing a vital cog.

So we should sign Phil Jones this month then - problem solved ;)

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
DTeacher said:
Freestyler said:

More than twice.

So we should sign Phil Jones this month then - problem solved ;)

You mean that living legend who got skinned by the Yak ? That Jones.

If that is the case i concur. Now if we can just get Zinadine Cleverley we are sorted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.