Kalvin Phillips | On loan at West Ham

IMO, there isn't another single player on the planet with the experience and skills set to cover seamlessly for Rodri. So if we need two players to cover for him that affects our formation somewhere else on the field.
I think that's why Pep rarely substitutes Rodri until the game is already won.
Kalvin can only play his defensive midfielder role effectively as one of a double pivot like he does with Rice for England. I expect Pep will play him in a double pivot at Newcastle & also at Wolves.
Rodri will play at RB Leipzig.
If the double pivot works for Phillips, Pep may suggest pre-Arsenal that he will play in that game but I think Pep will come up with something unexpected instead !
CTID

V Newcastle
Lewis Phillips Nunes

V Wolves
Foden Phillips Nunes

V RedBull
Rodri Phillips Kovacic

V Arsenal
Foden Kovacic Nunes

Maybe Phillips plays with Rodri v Leipzig to give Nunes and/or Foden a rest? Imo it could work with Rodri moving further forward.
Think you forgot about Alvarez. Phillips will start tomorrow and that’s it.

Newcastle:
Phillips, Nunes and ???

Wolves:
Kovacic, Nunes and Alvarez

Leipzig:
Rodri, Nunes/Kovacic and Alvarez/Foden

Arsenal:
Kovacic, Nunes and either Foden or Bernardo, with the other playing on the right.

Continually comparing him to Rodri, or even using Rodri as a benchmark is not helpful.

They are DIFFERENT players.
Right, and it's unfair for Phillips because Rodri is on such a high level. If we even have another DM on the same level as Rodri, he wouldn't be happy playing backup.

Alot here (incl. me) gave Rodri pelters in his 1st season because he's no Dinho. Let's give a chance to Phillips to see what he can do with a run of games.

Right, and it's unfair for Phillips because Rodri is on such a high level. If we even have another DM on the same level as Rodri, he wouldn't be happy playing backup.

Alot here (incl. me) gave Rodri pelters in his 1st season because he's no Dinho. Let's give a chance to Phillips to see what he can do with a run of games.
unfortunately with the pressure from the media - not to mention from city fans on here - Kalvin is on a hiding to nothing. Feel for the lad

Thought Pep's comments suggested under certain circumstances Phillips can do a good job for us. He also though suggested he's no good in tight spaces, which says to me that those circumstances might not come up very often.

All the players bought this season = good in tight spaces.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.