Kids and swearing

Mike D said:
I took my eldest girl with the old man to the game last Saturday, as duty as a father to make sure she follow the right path. Next day I’m at my parents with all the family watching the rags after our evening meal.

Then Dempsey pops up and scores to which me and the old man leapt out of our seats fists in the air, to which my eldest shouts “Fucking hell”..... Then there was that awkward delayed silence and my eldest then saying her 2 year old sister had taught it her, this followed by the look and scowl from the Mrs and the inevitable “That’s it, she not going to the football with you again, I’m not having our daughter coming out with language like that”

My dilemma Bluemooners is this...... do I risk the wrath of the Mrs again and take her? or do I bow down to the pressure and hope that she doesn’t turn into a rag.

I just had to - the original brought on a migraine!!!

Interesting thread as I was caught in the same dilema on Saturday just gone.

My daughter is 3 and a half years old. She has been begging me for ages to take her to the match with me and my 12 yr old lad.

Now..sitting in South level 2 the language can be somewhat blue at times and I would be gutted if my daughter came out with anything she had heard.My Mrs would string me up and as per the op "That's it-she isn't going to footy again".
Now I am no innocent and I swear at the football,yet my boy never and I repeat never swears because he knows it's bad.He actually tells me to calm down at times!!! I know,not a good example to set but my dillema is do I wait until we get another home cup tie and move to the family stand or do I just take the risk..

Mike D said:
I took my eldest girl with the my old man to the game last Saturday, as my duty as her father to make sure that sure right and wrong and she follows the right path. Next day I’m at my parents with all the family watching the rags after a feed.

Then Dempsey pops up and scores to which me and the old man leapt out of our seats fists in the air. To which my eldest shouts “Fucking hell”. Then there was that awkward delayed silence and my eldest then saying her 2 year old sister had taught it. Followed by the look and scowl from the Mrs and the inevitable “That’s it she not coming to football with you again, I’m not having my daughter coming out with language like that”

My dilemma is Bluemooners is this do I risk the wrath of the Mrs again and take her again, or do I bow down to the pressure and hope that she doesn’t turn into a rag.

Risk the wrath and just ask your daughter to watch her tongue around mum. Sorted!

Boff said:
ell said:
As a kid I was allowed to swear as much as I wanted at football but the moment I got out the ground that was it and I would get a right bollocking
Same here

This, except instead of a bollocking I got a crack round the back of the head.

Soon stopped it outside of football, at least for a few years.

I am shocked you didn't do the "right now, I don't mind you swearing at football but don't say it in front of your mother" speech. I thought that was the routine, it's what my dad said to me right before he taught me the words to "if my old man be a Munich fan I'd tell him he was a ****..........." song. Might not have even been 10 at the time. I think being allowed to swear at the footy was this best bit about it !

Skashion said:
They're going to learn the words sooner or later. Better just to be honest with them and teach them social etiquette.

Too true, I think that it's more the shock factor than the actual words. I guess as someone mentioned earlier I just need to man up and keep taking the Mrs is just gonna have to lump it.

Swearing is the just manipulation of noise from the voice muscles by the mouth. They're just words.

Swearing in shock or surprise isn't even bad. It's only when directed at someone when it's a bad thing.

Tell her what my Father told me when I was a kid; "swearing is for the football and nowhere else!" Don't think I ever had sworn in front of my mother to this day.

I take at least one of my children to every home match and have done since they were 6 or 7 and both of them have heard words at the ground that they don't hear at home (well, not that often) but I had the chat after each one's first match that there are words you hear at football that you don't use anywhere else and especially not near Grandma!

Which was working fine until we went out with my Mum and Dad straight after one match and my Dad asked how the game had gone. Eldest told him that they were f**king shite first half. Didn't know whether to be proud of her analysis or give her a quick kick under the table.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.